New here with a question about dawn effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_St

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

I am T2 and was very close to going onto insulin but I got myself a continuous blood sugar monitor and now I don’t eat any carbs until it reads below about 8 mmol and then have been experimenting to make sure I stay under 10 mmol

If I aim for a lower level I find it dives down very quickly and alarmingly.

Nice to know... out of all fast food, KFC 3 pieces of chicken, no fries doesn’t spike my Blood Sugar 🙂

Reason for the post though...

I go to bed with blood sugar under 8 mmol it bobbles along dipping down to 4 mmol most nights but then, from 6am onwards, it rises to around 11 mmol and stays above 10 mmol till 12ish.

How do I get it down? I take metformin and gliclaside at about 8am. I’m concerned about taking anything at night because it drops very low when I sleep.

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum 🙂 First thing I would say is that you should probably talk to your doctor/nurse about whether you need to reduce the gliclizide if you have drastically reduced your carbs, as this may be what is causing you to drop low. Regarding the Dawn Phenomenon, I would recommend having a read of this excellent article:

https://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=143

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back