New here and worried!

Tonirainbows

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone!
I feel like I’m really struggling at the moment.
Quick history:

I was diagnosed with type 2, exactly 2 weeks ago. But we estimate that I’ve been living with this for at least 2 years. My HbA1c was 121 - I’m 31 years old and a few stone overweight.

I was started on Metformin - lasted a week, because I was getting hives/itching all over. I was changed to Gliclazide (80mg) 6 days ago. I’ve been testing my BG since then.

few things I’m worried about including the fluctuations in my sugars, and how Gliclazide works. And it makes me feel hungry alllll of the time. I’ve drastically reduced my carbs (less than 100g per day) and changed my whole diet and routine.

This is what my BG looked like yesterday:

Morning, before food: 11.5mmol
2 hours after breakfast (and gliclazide): 14.1
After lunch and 1.5L panic drinking water: 8.5
2 hours post dinner: 12.1

this morning, after 12 hours of no food:13.1

I don’t have a diabetes nurse - I speak to my practice nurse. She’s amazing and lovely and got me to have a needle after 17 years of being terrified. I don’t think she’s a diabetes medication expert. I have an appointment with her tomorrow.

I’ve actually continued itching post-metformin so I might ask to go back on that alongside gliclazide.

if anyone can offer any guidance, advice, or tips I would be so grateful. I feel like I’m trying everything I can and there’s just no consistency (I know it hasn’t been long but I’m worried about the damage being done)

thanks,
Toni

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone!
Quick history:

I was diagnosed with type 2, exactly 2 weeks ago. But we estimate that I’ve been living with this for at least 2 years. My HbA1c was 121 - I’m 31 years old and a few stone overweight.

I was started on Metformin - lasted a week, because I was getting hives/itching all over. I was changed to Gliclazide (80mg) 6 days ago. I’ve been testing my BG since then.

few things I’m worried about including the fluctuations in my sugars, and how Gliclazide works. And it makes me feel hungry alllll of the time. I’ve drastically reduced my carbs (less than 100g per day) and changed my whole diet and routine.

I don’t have a diabetes nurse - I speak to my practice nurse. She’s amazing and lovely and got me to have a needle after 17 years of being terrified. I don’t think she’s a diabetes medication expert. I have an appointment with her tomorrow.

I’ve actually continued itching post-metformin so I might ask to go back on that alongside gliclazide.

if anyone can offer any guidance, advice, or tips I would be so grateful. I feel like I’m trying everything I can and there’s just no consistency (I know it hasn’t been long but I’m worried about the damage being done)

thanks,
Toni
Hi, Toni - welcome to the Forum

We've all been where you are at the moment so we understand how you're feeling. It's only been a couple of weeks and it takes a while for your numbers to come down. It was 10 days before any of my readings dropped into single figures and I was still getting 8s and 9s for a couple of weeks after that. If you stick to a diet/weight loss/exercise regime and, of course, take your medication you should start seeing results.

I've only ever taken Metformin but I do know that Gliclazide has the potential for causing hypoglycaemia. This has implications if you drive, so if you are a driver you need to check this out as well as telling your car insurance company that you have diabetes. Apologies if you have done this already, or know this already. The site has a section on Diabetes and Driving.

You'll find plenty of support on here from members managing their Diabetes day-by-day so if you have any questions or concerns just ask.

Martin

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
What you'd be better off doing, blood glucose wise is following a methodical regime for testing, see

Docb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As @Anitram says, it takes time for your body to readjust to the effect of the medications and change in diet and I suspect things are already beginning to happen because to get a HbA1c of 121 it is likely that your blood glucose has been running at higher levels than those you are measuring now.

So, stick with it, keep monitoring and keep a record alongside a food diary and see where you are in a months time.

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone!
Quick history:

thanks,
Toni
As Docb says, if you started at an HbA1c of 121 the numbers you're getting now indicate that you are currently lower than that. Although there is no direct correlation between HbA1c and finger prick tests the 14.1 you got suggests you were somewhere around 90 at that point and your 11.5 somewhere around 70. So although you feel you are struggling it does look as if you are making progress.

Keep it up.

Martin