New Hbac1 result.

louisew

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am T2 in insulin, not overweight, also low carb, 60g a day. So back at the end of April, my hbac1 was 6.1 (43), no too bad. Anyway I got hold hold of some Metformin and took 500mg a day (I know, naughty) and could reduce my basal and bolus by half and by end of may, it had reduced to 5.8 (40). So I went to my diabetes nurse, showed her test result (from monitor my health) and my insulin reduction and asked to be prescribed it. I was put on 1000 mg a day and today my test result was 5.5 (37). This is in spite of tearing my meniscus at the beginning of May and not being able to walk or do any aerobic exercise, yoga, or ballroom dancing since then. So I’m really pleased. I managed for the first time 2 days ago to walk a mile just wearing a knee support, no crutches, so hoping to slowly increase my exercise and get back to normal in a couple of months, and hopefully get it down even more. I’ve been feeling pretty down about struggling to get around the last few months, so this has cheered me up !!! Luckily I have no problems taking magic Metformin.

I am T2 in insulin, not overweight, also low carb, 60g a day. So back at the end of April, my hbac1 was 6.1 (43), no too bad. Anyway I got hold hold of some Metformin and took 500mg a day (I know, naughty) and could reduce my basal and bolus by half and by end of may, it had reduced to 5.8 (40). So I went to my diabetes nurse, showed her test result (from monitor my health) and my insulin reduction and asked to be prescribed it. I was put on 1000 mg a day and today my test result was 5.5 (37). This is in spite of tearing my meniscus at the beginning of May and not being able to walk or do any aerobic exercise, yoga, or ballroom dancing since then. So I’m really pleased. I managed for the first time 2 days ago to walk a mile just wearing a knee support, no crutches, so hoping to slowly increase my exercise and get back to normal in a couple of months, and hopefully get it down even more. I’ve been feeling pretty down about struggling to get around the last few months, so this has cheered me up !!! Luckily I have no problems taking magic Metformin.
You are lucky to have no troubles with Metformin - it was the worst 5 weeks of my life as I struggled to take it and Atorvastatin.
Fortunately I only need to eat low carb in order to have almost normal HbA1c, but normal blood glucose levels.
As 37 is a perfectly normal HbA1c there's no need to push too hard - keep moving of course, but be careful to allow things to heal or the injury can become a permanent weak spot or niggling ache.

Was there a reason you were taking insulin but not metformin? What insulin do you use? Normally a T2 would progress through medication starting with metformin and ending with insulin, via various other tablets.

You are lucky to have no troubles with Metformin - it was the worst 5 weeks of my life as I struggled to take it and Atorvastatin.
Fortunately I only need to eat low carb in order to have almost normal HbA1c, but normal blood glucose levels.
As 37 is a perfectly normal HbA1c there's no need to push too hard - keep moving of course, but be careful to allow things to heal or the injury can become a permanent weak spot or niggling ache.
I know, I originally tore it in November last year, ‘healed’ it myself, even going on a 3 week adventure holiday, hiking up volcanos, long hikes, scuba diving etc and it was fine. 2 months later, I got on a short plane flight, and when I got off, my knee collapsed, couldn’t walk, couldn’t even straighten it.Physio said it was left in a weakened state, and something pushed that bit too much, and got serious tear the 2nd time. I am doing all my physio exercises religiously, so hopefully will put it back up to original strength. I am getting very well defined muscles in my legs with all the exercises

Was there a reason you were taking insulin but not metformin? What insulin do you use? Normally a T2 would progress through medication starting with metformin and ending with insulin, via various other tablets.
Because when diagnosed, my hbac1 was 14.7 and my ketones were dangerously high. I’d had covid and had been isolating, and because I was feeling yuk, my husband got me fruit juice which I don’t usually drink. That with the lack of high activity I usually do, I think, pushed me over the edge. I was really unwell, unable to even walk. So straight onto basal ((tresiba) . Asked to have bolus (novorapid) added 6 months later, as I couldn’t eat any carbs atall without causing too high blood sugar. But pleased to be able to reduce insulin, dangerous stuff (hypos) when I’m doing high intensity exercise, especially on holiday.

I realise I’m very lucky with the metformin, I’ve read of a lot of people having bad side effects from it, but absolutely no effects atall

Glad you’ve found adding the Metformin has helped so much @louisew

Congrats on your reduced HbA1c, and great to hear you’ve also been able to reduce doses and find that helps your exercise/activity (one of Metformin’s modes of action is to improve insulin sensitivity).

Out of interest, have you come across the notion that low carb can reduce insulin sensitivity in some people. It may be that you can increase your daily carb intake, and (counterintuitively!) reduce doses still further?

Having said that, you may not want to mess with a system that’s working well for you 🙂

Glad you’ve found adding the Metformin has helped so much @louisew

Congrats on your reduced HbA1c, and great to hear you’ve also been able to reduce doses and find that helps your exercise/activity (one of Metformin’s modes of action is to improve insulin sensitivity).

Out of interest, have you come across the notion that low carb can reduce insulin sensitivity in some people. It may be that you can increase your daily carb intake, and (counterintuitively!) reduce doses still further?

Having said that, you may not want to mess with a system that’s working well for you 🙂
Yes I aware of this, actually before I wrecked my knee (I was very active) I was able to increase my carb intake, but at present with my wrecked knee, inability to do any meaningful aerobic exercise, and the resulting muscle wastage, I need to make sure my blood sugar doesn’t creep up. I am upping my protein and doing some strength exercises, but my physio has told me not to push too hard and allow myself to heal. I originally asked about being put on metformin due to morning liver dump, and to help with my insulin sensitivity so I could eat more carbs, high fat diets don’t agree with me, and my diabetic nurse agreed. TBH I was a bit annoyed that this hadn’t been considered before, as I found it in research papers easily online, and she knew it would help.

Back