New Finger Device Reads Books To The Blind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Researchers from the MIT Media Lab have developed a device shaped like a giant ring that can read to people who are visually impaired. They call this 3-D printed prototype, FingerReader.

After slipping the device on, the user just runs an index finger below the printed text in a magazine, on a business card, or on a menu, for example. A small camera scans the words and the device reads them out loud in real time. Audio cues and a small vibrating motor alerts the user if he or she needs to move to the next line or has veered from the line of text.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/new-finger-device-reads-books-blind

Sounds good 🙂

Thanks for that one northe ...I will keep it for future ref as many of the residents I work with have sight problems. Later in August I am going to be visited by our interactive/assistive technology officer. Some of the equipment available these days is truely amazing and so we are raisng funds for it at the moment ...eyegaze is one where eye movements control a computer. We are also being advised on equipment available for free on the NHS ....I will keep you updated as to what I find out 🙂

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back