New fasting requirement for hbA1c test?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephanieMLW

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello, has anyone else now been told they now have to fast before their hbA1c blood test?

I’ve not had to do this before and my GP says it’s a new requirement. I’m wondering why? From the research I’ve done, I can’t biologically understand the advantage of fasting, perhaps because there’s some kind skew towards a higher reading there is more glucose in your blood? It doesn’t make sense to me, so I’d love to find out the answer!

Feel sorry for the poor nurse that has to take my blood on an empty stomach…

Not heard of this recently. It was something I regularly did 20-plus years ago. Are we going back in time?

Hello, has anyone else now been told they now have to fast before their hbA1c blood test?

I’ve not had to do this before and my GP says it’s a new requirement. I’m wondering why? From the research I’ve done, I can’t biologically understand the advantage of fasting, perhaps because there’s some kind skew towards a higher reading there is more glucose in your blood? It doesn’t make sense to me, so I’d love to find out the answer!

I wonder if your GP is doing other bloods at the same time.

My tests are usually fasting, but they include hba1c, lipids, kidneys, checks for vampirism and liver.

I had an HbA1C recently and didn’t have to fast. I don’t understand the need for fasting either and have never done so in my almost 30 years of Type 1. Weird.

I always used to have to fast because they did a cholesterol test at the same time, and sometimes a spot Glucose test. Now they tell me I don’t have to fast for the cholesterol, and they don’t do a fasting glucose because it doesn’t really tell them anything, except that I get Dawn phenomenon.
I wonder if they do the fasting glucose, because if it’s way out with the HbA1c, it might tell them that the HbA1c is skewed because of anaemia or something.

Some GPs/practices/clinics like cholesterol tests to be fasting and they may also be doing a fasting serum glucose but makes no sense for HbA1c to specifically be fasting, but just to accommodate the other raft of blood tests done at the same time. I imagine the GP is probably misinformed or has misunderstood the directive.

Some GPs/practices/clinics like cholesterol tests to be fasting and they may also be doing a fasting serum glucose but makes no sense for HbA1c to specifically be fasting, but just to accommodate the other raft of blood tests done at the same time. I imagine the GP is probably misinformed or has misunderstood the directive.

I specifically asked if I needed to fast for the lipid screen and was told no. I have the lipids done with the HbA1C along with thyroid, kidney, liver, FBC, etc. Perhaps different surgeries have different preferences for the lipid screen but it makes no sense for the HbA1C- unless they’re just saying it for every blood test as a blanket policy.

I specifically asked if I needed to fast for the lipid screen and was told no. I have the lipids done with the HbA1C along with thyroid, kidney, liver, FBC, etc. Perhaps different surgeries have different preferences for the lipid screen but it makes no sense for the HbA1C- unless they’re just saying it for every blood test as a blanket policy.

Yes, same here, cholesterol doesn't need to be fasting anymore but some surgeries still insist on it. Thankfully mine doesn't.

I was told many years ago that the full set of tests (cholesterol, liver, HBA1C, etc.) need to be fasted. I am not sure if it was one test out of the bunch and whether that is still the case. I have continued doing so since because it is convenient. I get the blood test out of the way at the start of the day before work and the 7:45am appointments are not very popular so easy for me to book.
If fasting is "not necessary", I assume, conversely, there are no problems if it is a fasting test.

I was told many years ago that the full set of tests (cholesterol, liver, HBA1C, etc.) need to be fasted. I am not sure if it was one test out of the bunch and whether that is still the case. I have continued doing so since because it is convenient. I get the blood test out of the way at the start of the day before work and the 7:45am appointments are not very popular so easy for me to book.
If fasting is "not necessary", I assume, conversely, there are no problems if it is a fasting test.

Understanding is if it's just for total cholesterol then you don't have to fast, if it's full breakdown of cholesterol then its fasting.

In the past, on each occasion that I've had bloods done, the form I've been given always said it's a fasting test, but recently the surgery started sending the form to the local Healthspace site electronically so I don't see it. I therefore assume it's a fasting test, skip breakfast and book as early an appointment as I can (it opens at 8am).

The panel document given to me by my surgery shows two different printed reference ranges for triglycerides according to whether or not the test had been done after fasting.

I was told last time to come in the afternoon as in the morning she thinks my fluids have not built up enough. So no I'll not be able to fast until after two. I know many have no breakfast but I'm up usually before six and to go to two fasting makes me wobbly. I cant take it sorry by around 11 am I will snap and shake and go clammy. If I eat something it sets my clock. Sometimes as we eat for hubby lunchtime break at one I am snappy even then . I'm not bad after lunch now but I get hungry before bed. I was out last night and hubby and crowd were eating sausage rolls and sandwiches it was a party. I had to decline but when I came home I gave in and had sugar free jelly and cream. So some I know is mental. Wish I could just not have this eating relationship with food.

I too always fast, because they sneak things in!

The only comment I would make is I always tell whoever is drawing the blood I am fasted. Fasting v non-fasted lipid "normal" assay ranges differ, in my area at least.

Yes, same here, cholesterol doesn't need to be fasting anymore but some surgeries still insist on it. Thankfully mine doesn't.

I think they are fine either way, but it helps the Drs to know which. So a blanket policy for the surgery probably helps?

Completely agree that it makes no sense for HbA1c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back