new emailing group for 'young adults' with D

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiv

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all

I have arranged for an emailing list to be set up for young people (initially aimed at 18 - 30s, but it may be opened up to teens as well) with diabetes -be it type 1, 2, gestational or otherwise!

All the lists are "managed" by a software program called Mailman. When you send an e-mail in to ukya@lists.childrenwithdiabetes.com it is then copied and sent out to all the people who are subscribed to the list.

emailing Lists - What are They Anyway?
A mailing list is a group of users who share information on a common topic. Mailing lists allow messages to be distributed to all of the list's subscribers by submitting a message to a single address. When a message is sent to the list address, it is forwarded to all subscribers of the list, who each receive a copy of the original message.

The idea is that we can slowly rope young people in from all over the country, to provide another source of support. The emails can be asking for advice, for support, be a specific question, a rant, or anything really!

If you'd like to sign up to be able to receive the emails and reply to them, please visit:

http://lists.childrenwithdiabetes.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ukya

When sending an email, please put [YPWD] in the subject line, so that people can filter the emails!

It's worth saying that you might want to set up a filter on your emails, so all the emails go to one folder.

Admins, if this is the wrong forum, please move it to wherever is applicable!

Cheers

shiv

Last edited:
Hi all

I have arranged for an emailing list to be set up for young people (initially aimed at 18 - 30s, but it may be opened up to teens as well) with diabetes -be it type 1, 2, gestational or otherwise!

All the lists are "managed" by a software program called Mailman. When you send an e-mail in to ukya@lists.childrenwithdiabetes.com it is then copied and sent out to all the people who are subscribed to the list.

emailing Lists - What are They Anyway?
A mailing list is a group of users who share information on a common topic. Mailing lists allow messages to be distributed to all of the list's subscribers by submitting a message to a single address. When a message is sent to the list address, it is forwarded to all subscribers of the list, who each receive a copy of the original message.

The idea is that we can slowly rope young people in from all over the country, to provide another source of support. The emails can be asking for advice, for support, be a specific question, a rant, or anything really!

If you'd like to sign up to be able to receive the emails and reply to them, please visit:

http://lists.childrenwithdiabetes.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ukya

It's worth saying that you might want to set up a filter on your emails, so all the emails go to one folder.

Admins, if this is the wrong forum, please move it to wherever is applicable!

Cheers

shiv

Just read this on CWD 🙂 Sounds fab, make sure to post on DUKs facebook page as well, there seems to be a lot of teens/young adults on there.

Excellent Shiv. I'd seen that you were talking to 'our boss' on the children's email list and I think this is a marvellous idea.

Whilst this forum is fantastic, I love my email group. Some of my best mates are on there, I know them so well (Becca being one and Bev being another). The email group has just got people like you on it. It is emotions as well as practical and whilst on this forum I love the people (well most of them 🙂) it is only the other parents who understand the emotions I have. We all have emotions and feelings but they are all different ie if you have diabetes compared to being a parent with a child who has diabetes or a spouse.

So all those in that young age bracket, go join Shiv. It doesn't mean you leave here, it is just another place but it is a relevant place to you exactly which will help you so much.

Good luck Shiv.

Sounds like a good idea, does it mean you get loads of emails though? So like every post comes through as a new email?

Sounds like a good idea, does it mean you get loads of emails though? So like every post comes through as a new email?

if it's a reply to an email, it will show in your inbox that you have a new email - but it should tag onto the one it was replying to, if that makes sense?

i'm having some teething issues with it - mainly that my emails aren't getting through!! grrr.

good luck with this anything that can offer support to anyone touched by the D is a good thing !!

Great stuff Shiv 🙂

I used to subscribe to the insulin pumpers email list but it got really bonkers- I could log in and have so many it was a nightmare to sift throught them. But its a great way of getting some really good networking, fast replies and connecting you to others.

Good one Shiv, I will be signing up x

Shiv,
Just out of curiosity, is this like the group that ShellyB created?
If so, what you call it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back