NEW drug launched

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost Hunter

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

My dad has sent me an article which he found in a national newspaper earlier this week about a new drug they have just released for people with type 2 who are struggling with weightloss just like I am 😱

The report reads:

"Diabetes drug can help with weight loss​

A drug that can be taken once a day for type 2 diabetes and also helps patients to lose weight and control blood pressure has been launched in Britain.

Type 2 diabetes is one of the fastest growing diseases in the country and most new cases are linked to obesity.

Victoza, which is taken once a day by injection and reduces the likelihood of hypoglycaemic attacks, also helps patients to lose weight by making them feel full for longer. This effect contrasts with many traditional drugs for type 2 diabetes which often encourage weight gain.

The drug, which is made by Novo Nordisk and is also known as Liraglutide, can also be taken reguardless of meals.

Anthony Barnett, clinical director of diabetes and endocrinology at heart of England NHS foundation trust, Birmingham, said 'with Victoza, patients...may benefit from weight loss. This is an important advance for patients with type 2 diabetes, many of whome are already overweight.

'The once-daily formula, independent of meals, should improve patient compliance and in turn clinical out-comes.' "

I am off to GP tomorrow to speak to her about several issues and am going to ask for more info as it looks like something that would definately help me!

Any suggestions on how I approach the subject with my Dr as I havent ever asked to be refered for something before?

Thanks 🙂

I saw this on diabetes UK website. I am wondering if it is similar to byetta, if so ithas some advantages over byetta.

I wonder if GP's will be prescribing it or it will be hospital only.

I saw this on diabetes UK website. I am wondering if it is similar to byetta, if so ithas some advantages over byetta.

I wonder if GP's will be prescribing it or it will be hospital only.

Thanks for reply. I have never heared of Byetta. I have been asking my GP for ages for help with weight loss and although I have been on a few 'healthy eating' courses and I dont over eat they dont seem to want to help. I know I am obese and am really trying to lose weight but its going on not coming off and my worries just seem to fall on deaf ears at Drs and I latest I was told was I simply have 'slow metabolic syndrome' but no offers of help at all by GP!

Thanks 🙂

Pity the article didn't mention the thyroid cancer. The FDA refused to license it last month (or May?) because of evidence that it caused thyroid cancers in rats and mice. Apparently half of the review board were not convinced by the manufacturer's assurances which seem to have amounted to "it'll be ok, honest".

But the last I heard it was only at 3rd stage clinical trials, so even if its passed it will take a while for it to hit the market.

Ghost Hunter,
Many people find that simply by acting to manage their BG inside reasonable targets, the weight starts to fall off on its own. I know a lot of T2s who have achieved great control by using this as a guide:
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/joomla/jennifers-advice

Hope that helps.

Thanks VBH I will take a look.

Off to GP later so hoping having anther go at them might get something sorted for me.

Come September I think a lot of PCT (Primary Care Trusts) will be able to 'bid' for x amount of free places for Weight Watchers and when requested can 'refer' certain individuals to them for so many weeks to kick start their new routines.

Thanks for advice so far.

🙂

The problem with weight watchers is that they concentrate on the same dietary advice as the NHS/DUK/etc. i.e. low fat and high carb. Since carbs are what raise the BG and fat slows down BG rises, there's a bit of a basic contradiction there for diabetics.

But on the other hand, managing carbs (quantity, type) in order to maintain good bg levels tends to result in weight loss all by itself.

Just don't get me started on the nonsense of "calories" 😉

The problem with weight watchers is that they concentrate on the same dietary advice as the NHS/DUK/etc. i.e. low fat and high carb. Since carbs are what raise the BG and fat slows down BG rises, there's a bit of a basic contradiction there for diabetics.

But on the other hand, managing carbs (quantity, type) in order to maintain good bg levels tends to result in weight loss all by itself.

Just don't get me started on the nonsense of "calories" 😉

Trouble is I dont crrently 'test myself'. Have been diagosed type 2 for around 8 months now and always been advised I dont need to test! Yet there seems to be so many others (including my Dad) who do.

😱 It's all gobledegook to me.
It's a lot to get my head around :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back