New drug-driving laws will mean drivers face ban for over-the-counter medicines that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Stricter drug-driving laws are coming into effect in March this year
They will impose new limits on levels of certain legally obtainable drugs
These include eight over-the-counter drugs used in cough medication
Drivers are being warned they could lose their licences if they're caught

By Khaleda Rahman for MailOnline

Published: 09:48, 31 January 2015 | Updated: 15:59, 31 January 2015

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nter-medicines-make-drowsy.html#ixzz3QUdfAhz9

Drivers who take large doses of over-the-counter cough medicines, such as Night Nurse, putting them over the legal limit could lose their licenses under stricter drug-driving laws coming into effect this year.

New limits on permissible levels of certain drugs in a motorist’s bloodstream will come into force in March and will affect eight over-the-counter drugs.

Motorists are being warned that these legally obtainable drugs can impair the judgement of drivers and slow down their reaction times behind the wheel because they contain substances including morphine, diazepam and methadone.

Police have warned many over-the-counter remedies result in drivers being unfit to driver and report a rising number of offenders this year.

The new laws will be enforced with roadside drug-testing kits issued to police. Police officers in Hampshire were among the first to test the kits which detect illegal substances using a swab of saliva.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-face-ban-counter-medicines-make-drowsy.html

Well if you've ever taken Night Nurse, Sue - you'd know that about it without being told - it knocks you out - end of story.

My first husband took some one night - then had some brandy without considering anything - dead to the world on the living room carpet until mid-morning the next day. I was out and he was sposed to be fetching me - I rang and rang and rang - nothing.

I had to get my father-in-law - 10 miles away from where I was - out of bed, to drive me home another 5 miles and then drive the 15 miles back to their home.

They do warn you about this if you read the leaflet and I think there's a 'drowsy' warning on the packet too.

What 'got' us about this news was on the same page where we read it, the traffic police were saying because the Gov have decimated their numbers the incidence of road accidents had shot up and they weren't catching anywhere near as many drink and drug affected drivers before an accident occurs and in many cases not even then.

So this new law (though yes, fine, it should be a law, after all if we go hypo and 'they' find out, we get 'done' don't we?) isn't going to reduce the incidence of accidents when innocents are injured and killed, at all ! Just that a few more people might be prosecuted when that happens! What a great comfort that will be to the maimed and bereaved ........

Hi Jenny, from I can gather from reading other information the law applies to prescription drugs as well.
http://www.youreable.com/forums/sho...into-effect-on-2-March-2015?p=77864#post77864
The chap flymo is a trainee solicitor I believe so tends to be very good with his information.

If anything has could cause drowsiness on it then I do not touch with a barge pole as a Childs dose leaves me out cold for many hours. 😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back