New Diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynnsp63

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I haven't a clue what is happening to me - I have been diagnosed this morning and put on some tablets called
Metformin I cannot see the diabetes nurse at the surgery until next Tuesday and a dietician appointment is being made for me but, I don't know really how to change my diet, which sugars are good and which bad - do I sound thick - I'm not really but this is not something I have ever thought about because I didn't need to. Is it like this for everyone - I know diabetics who say things like my levels were high today or really good today - how do they know will someone tell me about these things or do I find out for myself. Help!! Lynn:confused:

I haven't a clue what is happening to me - I have been diagnosed this morning and put on some tablets called
Metformin I cannot see the diabetes nurse at the surgery until next Tuesday and a dietician appointment is being made for me but, I don't know really how to change my diet, which sugars are good and which bad - do I sound thick - I'm not really but this is not something I have ever thought about because I didn't need to. Is it like this for everyone - I know diabetics who say things like my levels were high today or really good today - how do they know will someone tell me about these things or do I find out for myself. Help!! Lynn:confused:

Hi Lynn,

The first thing to do is don't panic!

The nurse and dietician should tell you exactly what you need to go, and don't be affraid to ask them anything either.

People know what their blood sugar levels are because they have glucose monitors. You may want to ask the diabetes nurse whether you need one.

For now the best thing to do is eat healthily and obviously it is best to avoid refined sugars such as sweets and full fat coke!

Dear lynnsp63,

It can be daunting at first diagnosis. Metformin is the GPs drug of choice for newly diagnosed type 2s. Metformin reduces insulin resistance and also helps the muscles to uptake glucose. Type 2s have a problem using ALL sugars in fact using all carbohydrates because carbohydrates are turned to sugar before they enter your blood stream. Because sugars, with the exception of fructose, are rapidly changed to glucose, they enter your boood stream very rapidly. Starches do also but the more complex carbohydrates can take much longer to be absorbed. There is a "figure of merit" called the glycaemic index (GI) - the lower the GI the more slowly the sugar enters your blood stream, so you may wish to stick to low GI carbs as a way of controlling your post meal blood sugar rise. The quantity of carbs you can tolerate may also be a problem so portion control can also be a valuable way of keeping your blood sugars under control. BTW fructose is not a freebe, because although it does not raise blood sugar, the liver RAPIDLY removes it from your blood stream, coverts it to triglycerides (fat), loads it onto a VLDL lipoprotein and ships it off to storage in your fat depots!

Regards Dodger

Last edited:

Hi Lynn, don't worry you don't sound thick at all, you're going through what the majority of people do when first diagnosed (me included!). There is quite a bit to learn, but you don't have too long to wait until you see the people who should be able to explain where to start, and things won't go horribly wrong before then. Just try and relax, eat healthily, get out in the sunshine for a walk if you can, and don't be afraid to ask any questions that come to mind - no question is considered silly here, and by asking them here you may then have some idea of what to ask when you see the nurse and dietician.

As Katie says, don't panic! You've been started on metformin so your body is already getting a bit of help - more than it had 24 hours ago. Also don't worry - you do not sound thick and I'd actually say the reverse - you've had the sense and the courage to find this forum and admit you need help. So give yourself due praise, take a little time to get used to your new status as a person with diabetes and start jotting down all those questions. I suspect that, like for many of us, your diabetes team will tell you some things but, over time, you will come to find out what works for you. As you say, you've never needed to think about this before so it is no wonder you feel clueless

Hi Lynn,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Don't worry you'll soon get to grips with things.

I've been Type 2 diabetic for nearly nine years and I consider that I've only really started to learn the important things in the last twelve months.

You've done a very sensible thing coming to this forum because you'll be able to get loads of advice from people in a very similar situation to yourself. I only came to the forums last week after being diabetic for so long.

In the first place, you will need education to bring your blood sugar levels down from what must be your current high level. The important thing is to try to keep the sugar out as much as you can and reduce the carbohydrate that you eat - i.e. cereal, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice etc - because that turns to sugar almost as soon as you eat it.

Nothing is banned altogether but you need to get the right balance.

As a rule of thumb eat plenty of plant based foods - vegetables, beans and fruit etc - that will be a good start.

But the GP, nurse and dietitian will give you loads of advice - things to read etc.

If in any doubt ask on here - you'll always find someone to help.

Best Wishes - John

hi lynn like everyone else has said dont panic , i shant go into the ins and outs of the hell im going through at the moment with my gp but hopefully i will get there in the end , but you will always have us here to talk to and your healthcare team will be on hand , im sure most of us at some time or another have all gone through the same emotions xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back