New diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

harry3033

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone, thought would ask on here as my doctor's don't seem interested..

In August had a blood test result was 55 saw the doctor he prescribed me Metformin I picked up the tablets but later same day the diabetic nurse phoned me and said not to take the tablets I need to try a loose weight first..and review in 3 months so those tablets are in the draw..

But the doctor listened to how I was feeling which was drained and tired all the time and want the loo every five minutes

Had my 3 month blood test this week result came back as 55 same as before... Diabetic nurse said no treatment and they will only help with if my level reaches 59 yet before they said if goes above 49 they will help so they keep moving the goal posts... I told the nurse how I was feeling tired rubbish all the time and wanting loo all the time she said result was too low to cause it..

She said what did I want to happen I said I bit of support would be nice.. she said I could take the Metformin one tablet a day for 3 months and see if that helps even though they don't normally recommend to unless level is 59

For me was thinking.. if I took the tablets and it did help me to feel a bit better it would also help me to getting moving more to lose some weight...

Just wondering what other people thoughts are through experience

Thanks

What kind of diet and lifestyle changes did you make in the three months between tests. And are there any extra lifestyle changes you could make now?

Metformin might help slightly, but it’s not a magic bullet and lifestyle changes can often be more effective.

But the doctor listened to how I was feeling which was drained and tired all the time and want the loo every five minutes

Had my 3 month blood test this week result came back as 55 same as before... Diabetic nurse said no treatment and they will only help with if my level reaches 59 yet before they said if goes above 49 they will help so they keep moving the goal posts... I told the nurse how I was feeling tired rubbish all the time and wanting loo all the time she said result was too low to cause it..
The cutoff for diabetic is 48, so 55 (or 49) is just over that. I suspect what (if any) medication might be offered would vary at those relatively low levels.

What strikes me as more surprising is how you feel. An HbA1c of 55 would normally not give any noticeable symptoms, I think. I wonder if you're one of those people who tests anomalously on the usual HbA1c test? Would be worth checking to make sure they tested you for anaemia anyway (which can make you feel tired, and mess with HbA1c tests).

With your HbA1C where it is it is perfectly possible to reduce it down to normal of below 42mmol/mol with some lifestyle changes in particular attention to your diet.
This link may help you see a way forward with that https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/. It is a low carbohydrate approach based on REAL food which many find successful at losing weight and reducing blood glucose.

I am so sorry you dont seem to be getting the help you need. I found out back in May I had Type 2, my hba1c was 74 and it was a big shock. I was put on Metformin twice a day, and cut out white bread/potatoes (both my downfall!) rice, sugar and all the good stuff, and my next 3 month blood test was 42... My Diabetic nurse was so pleased with me. I have just had my newest test and I am now at 38. And that was including a holiday in Florida and a cruise... and I did have a few treats. Came back with Covid and lived on cough sweets for a couple of weeks.
Really hope you get some help soon.

She said what did I want to happen I said I bit of support would be nice.. she said I could take the Metformin one tablet a day for 3 months and see if that helps even though they don't normally recommend to unless level is 59

For me was thinking.. if I took the tablets and it did help me to feel a bit better it would also help me to getting moving more to lose some weight...

Hope starting the tablets gives you the kick start you are hoping for @harry3033

As others have said, Metformin is very widely used, and tends to build up over weeks and months, rather than working on any particular meal. I stead it works by reducing insulin resistance, and aiming to reduce glucose trickled out from the liver.

As others have said, moderating your total carbohydrate intake (not just ‘of which sugars’) will play a very important role too.

Let us know how you get on with the Metformin 🙂

What kind of diet and lifestyle changes did you make in the three months between tests. And are there any extra lifestyle changes you could make now?

Metformin might help slightly, but it’s not a magic bullet and lifestyle changes can often be more effective.
Thanks for reply, started more walking and eating less carbs, but have felt so tired all the time and wanting loo all the time..

I know medication is no magic bullet but was thinking it may help me feel a little better while I try and do more for myself on diet and exercise..

Doctors have done other main blood tests and they are all fine

So (probably) not prostate. Symptoms do sound like diabetes, and yet 55 still feels kind of low to me. (I wouldn't be that surprised if my HbA1c were 55 and I'm not constantly thirsty.)

But people are different, I guess. Do you wake up during the night and need a drink? (If so, that kind of thing would obviously make you feel tired. It's also not normal and something you should definitely mention next time you see someone.)

You should start to notice a difference quite quickly when you reduce your carbohydrates. It is suggested you limit your carb intake to less than 130g TOTAL carbs not just 'sugar'.
Keeping a food diary of everything you eat and drink estimating your carb intake will indicate where you can make some savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back