New diabetes medicine added to Pharmacare list (Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pictou County pharmacists are happy to hear that people with diabetes have been given access to another type of insulin under the provincial Pharmacare program.
Lantus, a long-acting insulin, was added this week as a benefit on Pharmacare for eligible patients who need an alternative to NPH or other pre-mix insulin. Lantus will be available for insulin-dependent diabetics taking NPH and/or a daily pre-mix insulin for at least three months and have experienced unexplained nighttime hypoglycemia at least once a month. It will also be available for diabetics who have severe or continuing allergic reactions to their current insulin.

http://www.ngnews.ca/News/Local/201...-diabetes-medicine-added-to-Pharmacare-list/1

?64 for ONE 15ml dose?

That's a WHOLE BOX of 3ml cartridges or disposable pens; which costs the NHS ?41.50.

I know some diabetics need more insulin than others but by God, insulin resistance must be high in Canada, don't think I want to go there ......

:D

?64 for ONE 15ml dose?

That's a WHOLE BOX of 3ml cartridges or disposable pens; which costs the NHS ?41.50.

I know some diabetics need more insulin than others but by God, insulin resistance must be high in Canada, don't think I want to go there ......

:D

By 15ml I presume they mean 5x 3ml cartidges, so similar to retail cost of lantus here (i.e. without NHS bulk discounts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back