New diabetes drug could save lives and ?70million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A ONCE-A-DAY jab, which could be a lifeline for Scotland’s 200,000 diabetes patients, has been passed for use by the NHS.

The breakthrough treatment not only helps control their condition, but also fights obesity.

At just ?1.90, it is far cheaper than using other similar drugs, and could save the NHS at least ?70million over the next five years.

Doctors can now prescribe Lyxumia to patients in Scotland following approval by the Scottish Medicines Consortium.

They have hailed the treatment as a major new tool to tackle the growing problem of Type 2 diabetes. It works in tandem with insulin to regulate glucose levels in the body in patients who cannot keep this controlled with insulin alone.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/428178/New-diabetes-drug-could-save-lives-and-70million

Trials have shown that around 100,000 patients treated with insulin alone have glucose levels way over target.

Probably because they haven't beem educated properly in the insulin regime they are on, or are on the wrong insulin regime if their levels are 'way over target' 🙄

Last edited:
It might be cheap, but it sounds just like Byetta. So I will be avoiding it at all costs. How long will it be before lots of people are complaining about the side effects.

It might be cheap, but it sounds just like Byetta. So I will be avoiding it at all costs. How long will it be before lots of people are complaining about the side effects.
That's what I thought when I looked it up. Is the major cost saving because it's one injection daily instead of two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back