New Basal and bolus user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent Sands

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
MY new insulins have arrived and started today. Basal 10 units in the morning. So far my BG has steadily been dropping. I am taking between 2 & 3 units before meals as instructed, it doesn't seem much but it's having a drastic effect on the glucose levels despite what I eat!
I am most surprised, but hey, it's a new learning curve.

MY BG readings were 10.3 first thing this morning. Then both insulins were followed by breakfast, BG was 17.9 after an hour. 11.9 after 2 hours.
Lunch was an hour and a half later, BG was 10.5 after an hour. and 10.5 after two hours.

What should they be? Am I on the right track?

Last edited:
10 is probably higher than where they will want you to be at, however, they might be giving you a conservative amount and see how you get on vs overdoing it.
I've been on MDI for 8 days and have a follow up appointment tomorrow. No adjusting this week for me. My insulin total for basal bolus is less than my old basal amounts, I assume as a safeguard against lows to see how it all sits with me.

What instructions or follow ups were put into place for you?

10 is probably higher than where they will want you to be at, however, they might be giving you a conservative amount and see how you get on vs overdoing it.
I've been on MDI for 8 days and have a follow up appointment tomorrow. No adjusting this week for me. My insulin total for basal bolus is less than my old basal amounts, I assume as a safeguard against lows to see how it all sits with me.

What instructions or follow ups were put into place for you?
Just a telephone follow-up next Monday. There were no other instructions just the dose of the basal (10) which is less than my old dosage, and the doses of the bolus (1 per 10 carbs before meals).

The reading before I ate was down to 7.0 and two hours later 10.5.

What's MDI?

Last edited:
Its likely that at the follow up will go more into adjustments with you and help tweak as needed.
I assume they have asked you to log your meter readings for them to be able to assess what's needed changed?

As long as you are not in hypoland reguarly (4 and below) just try not to stress and wait until Mondays appointment 🙂

I know my targets are to be 7 ish pre meal and mornings. (not even close at the moment)

MDI is just another term for basal bolus (multiple daily injections or can be referred to as multiple dose injections)

MDI is just another term for basal bolus (multiple daily injections or can be referred to as multiple dose injections)
That's my understanding, though note that if you're interested in getting Libre prescribed, in the criteria for that NICE give MDI a more general definition (just more than one injection a day, so would apply to two doses of a mixed insulin too).

• Love
Reactions: gll
I keep meaning to ask DSN about qualifying for libre prescription, will pop it on tomorrows list of stuff to discuss.

I keep meaning to ask DSN about qualifying for libre prescription, will pop it on tomorrows list of stuff to discuss.
Yes, the Diabetic Nurse mentioned going on Libre and was just checking the feasibility of it with me and the Doctors in due course.
I'm only on one dose of mixed daily at present but used to be on two. But early days at present.

I got told no to libre today but she would look into it in case she can find a way.

Last edited:
My morning readings are consistently between 11 and 14 before basal, and my evenings' are between 9 and 16, with copious amounts of hydration throughout the day. Within 1.5 hr after food, they're usually 1 - 4mmol higher than the pre-meal level.

The amount of carbs throughout the day is between 90 and 120, hopefully, that'll come down to 60 - 80 daily.

I'll be talking with the Diabetic Nurse tomorrow sometime.

Hopefully your DSN can help identify where adjustments need to be made tomorrow.

I'm still all over the place but overnights seem to be settling down to much better levels. The key is to just accept this is a process and not to get too stressed out when numbers don't always come back to where you want them to be.

Let us know how the appointment goes 🙂

Hopefully your DSN can help identify where adjustments need to be made tomorrow.

I'm still all over the place but overnights seem to be settling down to much better levels. The key is to just accept this is a process and not to get too stressed out when numbers don't always come back to where you want them to be.

Let us know how the appointment goes 🙂
Heard from the DSN today and got told I can increase the basal by two tomorrow then every few days two more until I'm happy with the result. With the bolus, this can be adjusted according to BG levels before a meal but initially from 2 units to 4 units. Keeping a close eye on my BG levels all the while.

She also said she'd get in contact with me again Next Tuesday (2nd August) to see how I was getting on, and also to take note of my readings.

It'll be good to see how well I can manage my MDI, or if I make a complete hash of it!

Last edited:
🙂 Glad you got some info on adjusting.

Any questions or concerns, just post back. Someone is usually about to chat about issues x

Worried about the amount of bolus I'm taking before breakfast - it has risen to 28, and my BG fell to 16.1 two hours later from the morning base of 10.0.

Is this unusual or am I right to be concerned?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back