Neurosurgeon quits NHS after being told not to wear a watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A leading neurosurgeon has admitted that he is quitting the NHS because he can longer bear the bureaucracy and health and safety regulations which ban him from wearing a wrist watch.

Despite being one of Britain’s most eminent surgeons, Henry Marsh will quit next March to work pro bono in Ukraine, saying the health service had become shambles.

Mr Marsh said the final straw was receiving a 22 page dress code which banned ties, long sleeves and watches.

“We were threatened with disciplinary action for wearing a wrist watch and not having our sleeves rolled up even though there is no evidence that makes any difference," he told the Hay Festival.

"So that's really why I am retiring next year. It's such a shambles anyway but that was just too much.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/n...NHS-after-being-told-not-to-wear-a-watch.html

Hmm, I'm afraid I agree with the rules rather than the surgeon on this one. Bits of muck and dust can easily get caught in watches and jewellery and if the watch has a metal strap, there too. How often do folk bother to clean them? The shirt rule might be one too many, but even there I can see the sense.

I remember a young lad at our school who was always getting into trouble. One day he turned up at school having shaved his eyebrows off. It turned out that he had been given a punishment to write out the school rules 10 times - one rule was....No Facial Hair! 😱 :D

Wrist watches aren't just an infection issue. They can also damage a patient's skin when a health care professional slides their hand down the back or under legs, bottom etc. When I do occasional care work for a disabled friend when her husband goes away, I always take my watch off my wrist and attach to a trouser belt loop. That means I can wash my hands and forearms properly, which is important when dealing with comode, catheter etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back