Neuropathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwynn

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I suspect that I had had very high blood glucose for a while and I think it did some nerve damage. Nothing major. A slight numbness and occasional tingling, barely noticeable.

I read somewhere (I think it may have been on here) that the following supplements can help (see end of post)

Not sure if that is reasonable or not as I always thought that once a nerve is damaged then that's it for that nerve.

However, not one for letting things lie or for giving in, i am trying the suggested supplements to see if I notice any change or benefits.

If anyone is interested I will post up what I discover (good or bad).

The supplements (supposed to take all three)

1. Evening Primrose Oil
2. Alpha Lipoic Acid
3. Vitamin C

For all I know the combination could create 'Snake Oil' !!! But if it helps at all then that's good.

I just hope I haven't wasted my money and hopes.

I am sure there are better details on line and I just hope I haven't got it wrong.

No ill effects one hour in after taking the first set of tablets. So that at least is a good start.

Please let us know how you get on

I’ve been taking evening primrose oil capsules since my neuropathy diagnosis in March 2017. It has naturally occurring GLA which helps nerves to regenerate. I have transient neuropathy mostly in my arms & legs, unusually more prevalent on the right side than my left, & keeping my blood sugars in control really helps. It’s if I’ve had a prolonged period of high blood sugars, when ill, then starts coming down too fast that my nerves get agitated & it hurts for a while until the nerves regenerate.

Day to day I don’t really notice taking the capsules but, it’s when I’ve had to stop it for 3 weeks because of day procedure ops, can’t take any supplements one week before and two weeks after as it can hinder healing, that I’ve really noticed it: the tingles start building up & be constant by 3 weeks; I don’t get tingles day to day in normal circumstances on the capsules. It’s only the fast drop in blood sugars, as mentioned above, that I get more painful tingles.

I take 1 1000mg capsule a day every day from Tesco.

It was the A&E Doctor that diagnosed me that recommend either ALA or GLA as being helpful in controlling it.

ALA is one I’ve mentioned before - I think it might even be prescribed in Germany (?). Benfotiamine is also recommended as is B12 and a general B Complex vitamin @Gwynn

I don’t remember the exact combination my relative took but their neuropathy basically went away (non-diabetic neuropathy) so definitely worth a try. The ALA is a bit pricey though.

Thanks for your replies. It all sounds quite promising.

ALA is one I’ve mentioned before - I think it might even be prescribed in Germany (?). Benfotiamine is also recommended as is B12 and a general B Complex vitamin @Gwynn

I don’t remember the exact combination my relative took but their neuropathy basically went away (non-diabetic neuropathy) so definitely worth a try. The ALA is a bit pricey though.
I didn't realise there was non-diabetic neuropathy. No end to learning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back