Neuropathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proudspirit

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
what is it and do i have it? or rather how do you know that you have it? are we tested for it?

I have almost constant pins and needles or just slight tingling in my feet, dont normally get it in my hands though.

??

Thanks

Julie xx

Hi Julie, the feet are more prone to it than the hands because the blood 'pools' in the feet due to gravity - so for this reason you should have your feet checked at least once a year. At the test they check for sensation and damage to the feet, and also the pulses in the feet to make sure there is a good blood flow. Neuropathy can manifest itself in many ways, not just in the feet and legs - often people will feel nerve pain when their levels have been high prior to diagnosis and they react to 'settling down' at lower levels by becoming more sensitive. I got this in my toes after I was recovering from diagnosis, but it has mostly gone now.

Definitely worth asking your doctor about any constant problem or irritation - might be nothing, but always best to find out sooner rather than later!

Thanks Northerner, I am waiting for an apt for feet, will ask there and if no joy will mention to GP.

Do you know until earlier this year i have very rarely been to the drs for other than back and knee pains but now im sure the receptionists know my voice!

Julie x

Thanks Northerner, I am waiting for an apt for feet, will ask there and if no joy will mention to GP.

Do you know until earlier this year i have very rarely been to the drs for other than back and knee pains but now im sure the receptionists know my voice!

Julie x

I was the same - first went to the GP when I registered in 1999, went again in 2004 after returning from Sweden with a broken leg, went again in June 2008 after being diagnosed. Now it seems I'm in there nearly every week!😱

Julie x

We registerd with our GP in 1987. If I went to see him he knew I was ill. In the last 3 years I've seen him more than in the last 20.

Hope you get the neuropathy sorted out

you should have the test done each year to test sensation in your feet. Just a thought but if you have back problems this can sometimes cause pins and needles and tingling in the feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back