neuropathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heike

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Yesterday I was diagnosed with neuropathy, which didn't come as a big surprise as the tingling and numbness was a dead give away. But now it is official and somehow feels different, more serious.
To help with the pain, which was explained as painful painless (or is it painless painful) feet, they put some clear plasters on top of both feet. Apparently this helps for about 50% of patient. I just wondered if anybody has any experience with it and did it help? It would beat taken another tablet any time.

Can you give the name of the "plasters"? I guess they might be dermal delivery devices (drugs through the skin).

Hubby was given something along these lines for his osteoarthritis. remembering we are all individuals, they workd all the time he was using them, but as soon as he stopped the pain was worse.

These plasters are called opsite flexigrid and if nothing else they woke my feet up 🙂, no more tingling.

Not sure how thats supposed to help cos its just a dressing. Its listed in the BNF as "Vapour-permeable Adhesive Film Dressing" of which there are about 30 brands listed. Its a very generic item and does not contain any pharmaceutical active substance as far as I can see.
"Uses: postoperative dressing, donor sites, superficial decubitus ulcers, amputation stumps, stoma care; protective cover to prevent skin breakdown"

Odd that it seems to work tho.

I would have thought that amitryptilene would have been a better move.

I just found out abit about it as i was quite curious to find out more myself

OpSite Flexigrid is a transparent, adhesive film, with a unique wound mapping grid. The film is moisture vapour permeable, conformable and extensible. It is clinically proven to promote moist wound healing for superficial wounds; it is also ideal for use as a secondary dressing and to help prevent pressure sores.

Features

* Rapid, less painful wound healing
* Superior film with acrylic adhesive
* Waterproof film
* Simple, effective application technique
* Adaptable to awkward areas
* Unique wound mapping grid
* Provides a bacterial barrier

Benefits

Rapid, less painful wound healing
OpSite Flexigrid has set the standard in moist wound healing by retaining the natural wound exudate. OpSite Flexigrid provides an environment for rapid, less painful wound healing. The high moisture vapour permeability allows excess exudate to evaporate, minimising the risk of skin maceration.

Superior film with acrylic adhesive
The OpSite Flexigrid film is highly extensible and conformable, which combined with its high moisture vapour permeability, means the dressing can be left in place for up to 14 days. This minimises interference at the wound site and reduces the amount of nursing time required.

Waterproof and a bacterial barrier
OpSite Flexigrid is impermeable to water and body fluids, protecting the skin underneath and allowing the patient to bathe without changing dressings. It also reduces the risk of secondary infection and aids in the prevention of bacterial contamination.

Simple, effective application technique
OpSite Flexigrid provides a simple and effective application system. The flexible carrier enables single handed application. The dressing conforms to the contours of the body. Its transparency enables accurate positioning over the wound site.

Adaptable to awkward areas
OpSite Flexigrid has been designed to be adaptable for use on all areas of the body. It can be easily cut into strips or shapes for application to awkward areas such as heels, elbows and knees.

Unique Wound Management Grid
OpSite Flexigrid incorporates a unique wound mapping grid which allows simple but accurate assessments of the healing process to be made. After tracing the edges of the wound, the Flexigrid carrier can be removed and stored in the patient?s notes.

Indications

OpSite Flexigrid is indicated for:
Superficial pressure sores, minor burns, scalds abrasions and lacerations.
Leg ulcers in the final stage of healing
Pressure sore prophylaxis and skin protection around stoma and under leg bags.
Use as a secondary dressing, for example over IntraSite* Gel Amorphous Hydrogel Dressing or Cavity Wound Dressings such as Allevyn* Cavity.
To relieve pain in painful diabetic neuropathy.
To provide catheter fixation.
To protect the skin from friction and external contamination.

Contraindications / Precautions

* Care should be taken to avoid skin damage by repeated applications on patients with thin or fragile skin.
* In common with all adhesive products, some cases of irritation and/or maceration of the skin surrounding the wound have been reported. It should be noted that inappropriate use or too frequent dressing changes, particularly in patients with fragile skin, can result in skin stripping.

seems odd as it's a dressing,do you have any wounds on your feet?

I take gabapentin, but am thinking of coming off them as the pain has virtually resolved

It is odd, but it does seem to work for me, as my feet don't tingle at all now and the pain isn't as bad any more. Maybe is just a placebo effect but it's welcome 🙂. No, I don't have any wounds on my feet.

I seem to get terrible deep pain in my shoulder and back, I was told it was neuropathy, I also get the tingly feet. Maybe I should try the plasters!

;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back