Neuropathy, vitamin B12 and Metphormin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptile

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have read that metphormin can significantly block the absorption of B12 and that the resulting deficiency can be a major cause of neuropathy. Can anyone confirm this and is it possible to address this with oral B12 supplements?

If you do have a deficiency caused by metformin blocking absorption then oral supplements wouldn’t help much as metformin blocks the absorption and so it would be treated by injections usually

Do you have any of the symptoms of B12 deficiency @Reptile ? Or are you just concerned about the possibility?

If you are worried, it might be worth asking your GP for a B12 check?

Mostly concerned about the possibility. I'm taking 2 grams of metformin per day.

As a first line treatment for T2 metformin is very widely prescribed at that level, and while there is an association between long-term use and the possibility of low VitB12, this only affects a fairly small proportion of people (somewhere between 6-30%), so it’s good to be aware of the possibility, but try not to stress too much about it. Just perhaps something to bear in mind if you get some sort of symptoms 🙂

I have the opposite problem . At the same time as my blood sugar was found to be 96 (Hc1A??) my Vit B was 1400, 2 weeks later 2000. Way over the top.

As a first line treatment for T2 metformin is very widely prescribed at that level, and while there is an association between long-term use and the possibility of low VitB12, this only affects a fairly small proportion of people (somewhere between 6-30%), so it’s good to be aware of the possibility, but try not to stress too much about it. Just perhaps something to bear in mind if you get some sort of symptoms 🙂
That’s not an an association and here’s why: A low Vit B12 affects about 6% of the general population, rising to 20% or so in the over 60s. Whether you are taking Metformin seems to have no effect on that, then.

That’s not an an association and here’s why: A low Vit B12 affects about 6% of the general population, rising to 20% or so in the over 60s. Whether you are taking Metformin seems to have no effect on that, then.

I don’t know - there do seem to be a few papers in the literature, including RCTs

Only briefly skimmed them, but

Plus commentary for nursing staff

What I was demonstrating is that the frequency of B12 deficiency is the same in the normal population as it is in the folk taking Metformin, or T2s on insulin. Just because it is found in people taking Metformin doesn’t mean it was caused by Metformin. I don’t care how many nurses write papers on how to prevent this or warn against it, it’s fighting an illusion. Just treat it, like you do with everybody who isn’t T2, it’s not rocket science, it’s easy.

This may seen like a trivial argument, but it’s the way insurance companies get out of paying out if the B12 deficiency is discovered while on holiday. “It’s the diabetes”. It’s not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back