Neuropathy - just read about this

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddymyers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I played football, i haven't for about 12 months now. I had what i thought was a trapped nerve in my lower back making it impossible to jog, run or play football. It was difficult to walk for any length of time too. Then sitting down became painful after the walking...many physio and chiropractor appointments later it seems that all i have to do is "be more aware about my activities" - do some stretches but not too much and no real prognosis of recovery. Then i go and stumble onto an article about diabetic nerve damage and wonder whether it is possible i am suffering from some nerve damage due to my diabetes??? I haven't done any activity (above a stroll) for months and felt like there was less - no pain but just the last few days (still no change in level of activities) the pain has come back as though i had just played a game of football! Do i just go and see GP and explain this? My feet are fine, my hands are fine

I think diabetes-related neuropathy usually starts at the extremities, like fingers, feet or lower legs; or with reduced sensations and feeling, rather than in the core?

There are some details of various different types described on this page

yeah, i thought it not likely but with my attempts to easing/reducing the symptoms of nerve issues not working i thought what if?....

I did read a couple or online articles that it could affect buttock/thigh/lower back

yeah, i thought it not likely but with my attempts to easing/reducing the symptoms of nerve issues not working i thought what if?....

I did read a couple or online articles that it could affect buttock/thigh/lower back
Sounds more like sciatica, perhaps there is something out of alignment in your lower spine putting pressure on your sciatic nerve, which runs down through the buttock and down the back of the leg to the heel. I get spells of it and sometimes I will get the pain deep in my buttock but other times it might be behind my knee and running down into my heel. Plenty of walking really helps mine. It seems to help realign my back and untrap the nerve and improves my diabetes management too so it is a win win!

I believe neuropathy generally affects both legs/feet, so I also think it is unlikely to be neuropathy.

Sounds more like sciatica, perhaps there is something out of alignment in your lower spine putting pressure on your sciatic nerve, which runs down through the buttock and down the back of the leg to the heel. I get spells of it and sometimes I will get the pain deep in my buttock but other times it might be behind my knee and running down into my heel. Plenty of walking really helps mine. It seems to help realign my back and untrap the nerve and improves my diabetes management too so it is a win win!

I believe neuropathy generally affects both legs/feet, so I also think it is unlikely to be neuropathy.
I have the same issues with my back and buttocks and pain in my leg at times, I also get a numb sensation at times at the bottom of my spine, I dont know for sure but i think i have mild neuropathy in my feet its only the toes and changes from pain to cold numb feeling but still hurts if tha makes sense, I did mention it on my first appointment with the DN who made no comment, however since i have reduced my BS its isn't as bad anymore.

I have read it could be just one side. Stil lthink it would be a long shot as i also read it is in older people.

Also think it might be sciatica - have seen many a physio and chiropractor but they don't have the answers!

I am jogging and it seems to be ok at the moment - jogging making it no worse but no better either

Maybe it could be to do with BS levels as i have had a few bad meals recently! :( need to get back to keto/near keto...

@eddymyers I also suffer from that and feels like a bad back or so, if it’s the same as mine look up hip flexor stretches and strengthening. It was a game changer for me. I sit at my job a lot and even though practising karate I thought I was more supple than I was but it turns out not.
I also found running painful but after a short while like a couple of weeks stretching it really eased up.
I had a few physio sessions and a deep tissue massage working muscles in the buttocks and hips which helped.
Hopefully it’s something as simple like that.

I played football, i haven't for about 12 months now. I had what i thought was a trapped nerve in my lower back making it impossible to jog, run or play football. It was difficult to walk for any length of time too. Then sitting down became painful after the walking...many physio and chiropractor appointments later it seems that all i have to do is "be more aware about my activities" - do some stretches but not too much and no real prognosis of recovery. Then i go and stumble onto an article about diabetic nerve damage and wonder whether it is possible i am suffering from some nerve damage due to my diabetes??? I haven't done any activity (above a stroll) for months and felt like there was less - no pain but just the last few days (still no change in level of activities) the pain has come back as though i had just played a game of football! Do i just go and see GP and explain this? My feet are fine, my hands are fine
I have had problems with lower back pain for the last forty years which has recently been diagnosed after MRI Scans as Stenosis ( narrowing of the spinal canal ,which impinges on the nerves in the canal, the Sciatic nerve being the main culprit ) , the pain has got steadily worse over the years, so about twenty years ago I decided to try Acupuncture and it reduced the incidences of flare ups of Sciatica . The symptoms you describe are very familiar to me and I would say sounds like you are experiencing Sciatica which is very debilitating, have you considered acupuncture ? , look upon it as regular maintenance rather than a cure! The chap I use was trained in TCM in China ( rather than somebody who completed a couple of months online course , and then starts practicing ) he does deep muscle massage therapy , and has a deft touch with the needles , it's £ 50 for an hour session and I know it works because I have stopped on two occasions having my monthly treatments and each time had a bad flare up of sciatica, which upon starting the treatments again, it had settled down . I have a large garden, seven grandchildren , am an active 72 year old and I can do most things within reason as long as I don't over do it, I usually find after a few hours working in the garden I feel I can move quite freely, the worse thing for back pain I have found is a sedentary lifestyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back