Neuropathy and pain relief

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizmomycat

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello all

Looking to see what pain relief you are on (if any) for neuropathic pain.

I was diagnosed earlier this year after suffering with intense pain (stabbing pains/burning pains) and numbness in 80% of both feet. Turns out I have probably been diabetic for a long time as the numbness and pain have been happening for years, but only when the pain has become unbearable did I manage to see a GP.

Long story short the pain is unbearable most of the time. My GP says there are only two things that MAY help, Pregabalin and/or amitriptyline. I can't take amitriptyline without becoming severely depressed and pregabalin (800mg daily) is having limited success. It does work sometimes, but at least every few days or so I find I am awake for 2-4 days as the pain and discomfort is so bad. I also take Dihydrocodeine for joint pain and other pains I suffer with. This has now been changed to the lesser pain reliever Codeine (without consulting me) even though my 'general' pains have increased and neuropathic pain is on a whole new level.

Is the GP right by telling me "there is no point in contacting us again" as nerve pain either is helped by the two medications amitriptyline or/and Amitriptyline end of. Apparently opioid medication in any form does nothing (GP quote).

Also, just wondering if you guys have had the same experience or have any success with different medication?

Cheers!

Hi and welcome.
So sorry to hear that you are suffering with such bad neuropathy. Gabapentin is the other medication often mentioned along with Pregabalin and Amitriptyline.
The main thing is to manage your diabetes as well as you can though. Can you tell us a bit about that? Things like what if any medication you have been prescribed for the diabetes and what dietary changes you have made. Do you self monitor your BG levels with a finger prick and BG meter? Keeping your levels as stable as possible and in range and walking if you are able or other exercises to stimulate blood flow in your legs and feet, are the best things you can do for yourself. Sometimes once Blood Glucose (BG) levels are back in range and reasonably stable, there will be some improvement in the neuropathy although sometimes it can get worse before it gets better as the nerves try to repair once they have a better blood flow. Sitting is one of the worst things you can do, so do try to keep your legs and feet moving as much as you can.

Hi @gizmomycat

I’m sorry you’re suffering so much with neuropathic pain. It is a horrible, wearing pain.

There are a couple of other drugs that can be used for neuropathic pain - duloxetine and gabapentin. They may not be appropriate for your situation but I have used them in the past with varying degrees of success. I found it a real challenge to find the right amount and right combination of drugs to use with neuropathy. Normal painkillers don’t work against nerve pain. I would ask again if things don’t reduce and start to settle for you - is there a specific dr or nurse who sees people with diabetes at your surgery and might be more helpful ?

Keeping blood sugar as stable and in range as possible helps to limit nerve pain and from my experience can have a significant impact on reducing pain levels.

I think others on here have had success using a Tens machine for blocking pain.

I hope you can get some relief from it.

Hello. Thanks for the responses and helpful insights. so to cover posts above: Gabapentin is the only one I haven’t tried. There is definitely some improvement with Pregabalin, if I miss a dose or two the extra burn is noticeable. Then it seems to flair up and absolutely nothing works. You’d swear your feet are literally burning, I expect to see flames when I look down! So I only take Empagliflozin and 25mg and Metformin 1000mg a day. My sugars are very well controlled now, always in perfect range between 5-7, maybe up to 10 after a meal but not long before they are normal again. In fact the GP was looking to stop all medicines as my regular blood test (I forgot what’s it called!) to check my sugars is back to like as if I’m not diabetic apparently. They say to keep on them though due to the neuropathy. Excercise and movement is a problem, just riddled with arthritis and can barely move sometimes, but I keep trying! Few years ago I was a healthy postman of 20 years, then got retired when my health suddenly deteriorated. Mad. At least I know my GP isn’t telling me tales lol. Cheers guys.

Hi! I will try and post in the next 24 hours. Whilst not exactly the same I suffer badly with phantom pain and am on similar drugs. Being awake and in a lot of pain is truly awful and I was in that position up four times in the week up to and including Sunday.

Hi Mikey. Sorry to hear that. It’s awful isn’t it. Like the pain in not enough, you’re awake days on end too making things a whole lot worse. I hope things are improving for you.

Capasin cream had a good write up to help a while back, my Gp is having limited success with my chemist in obtaining any at the moment though.

Ah yea. I forgot to mention that I use that too. Never touched the pain sadly. Although after my son put some on for me, he found out the hard way to listen to me when I said wash your hands A LOT! and do not rub your eyes lol . Kids. Thanks for mentioning that though, much appreciated.

Ah yea. I forgot to mention that I use that too. Never touched the pain sadly. Although after my son put some on for me, he found out the hard way to listen to me when I said wash your hands A LOT! and do not rub your eyes lol . Kids. Thanks for mentioning that though, much appreciated.
Sorry it didn’t help you, do wonder how quick it works.

Really sorry to hear your issues about the nerve pain as I understand how debilitating it can be and that it is only the nerve blocker agents that provide effective relief rather than normal analgesics.
As said earlier it is important to try and best control/ manage the cause so the diabetes or else the PNS pain neuropathy will often additionally affect areas closer to the CNS pathway like the spinal cord etc as well as other complications.
I do appreciate the increased sensitisation that occurs with nerve damage as the pain receptors are activated to a high extent and hope that you truly discover relief from this awful condition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back