Neuropathy and DVLA

Status
Not open for further replies.

berryr99

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have developed over time neuropathy in my feet. Currently I can drive OK but I am concerned about the future (eyes ok, for now, under review). I have identified the hand controls that I need for the car but am confused about the DVLA part. What I report to the DVLA - one of the questions on the form is "do I need adaptations to the car" - well, I don't need them now but think I will in the future so I don't know what to say. Has anyone been through this process who can advise ?

Thanks

Robert

I have developed over time neuropathy in my feet. Currently I can drive OK but I am concerned about the future (eyes ok, for now, under review). I have identified the hand controls that I need for the car but am confused about the DVLA part. What I report to the DVLA - one of the questions on the form is "do I need adaptations to the car" - well, I don't need them now but think I will in the future so I don't know what to say. Has anyone been through this process who can advise ?

Thanks

Robert
Just to clarify, you say you have identified the hand controls you need to drive the car. Are you saying that you now need hand controls to drive the car? If you need them now, then you tick that on the form. If you don’t need those now and you know that you’re safe driving without and just investigating for the future then you don’t tick it now. If your adaptations changed in the future you would advise the DVLA then.

If you don't need adaptions now then you say no. If you do need them now then again you say yes, if you say yes to adaptions then your licence is changed so you can only drive a car with those adaptions.

Perhaps it would be helpful for you to call the Diabetes UK Helpline when it reopens after the Bank Holiday? You can call the. weekdays 9-6 on 0345 123 2399, and chat through your situation with an adviser.

Just to clarify, you say you have identified the hand controls you need to drive the car. Are you saying that you now need hand controls to drive the car? If you need them now, then you tick that on the form. If you don’t need those now and you know that you’re safe driving without and just investigating for the future then you don’t tick it now. If your adaptations changed in the future you would advise the DVLA then.
At the moment I don't need them and thanks for clarifying this for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back