Neuropathic Hand Pain. Please HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Moorhead

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Folks
I am a 59 year old, obese male, (170kg/191cm) from northern Ireland UK. I have been suffering from TYPE II diabetes mellititis since September 1998. My blood glucose was firstly controlled by diet, this progressed to oral medication, namely, Metformin.

I now control it, with twice daily injections of Novomix. I take forty units in the morning and then another 40 units, at dinner time. Once per week, I also administer, 1ml of Semiglutide.

My main reason for reaching out to you all is for the relief of my hideous, unbearable, diabetic neuropathy. I am suffering terribly, with hand pain. Not only is it extremely debilitating, but it is now depressing me and affecting my nightly sleep.

I have been in touch with my own general practitioner, who has been prescribing me, various analgesics over the years, sadly, to no avail. My last attempt at pain relief was offered to me by a consultant anaesthetist in a hospital, quite far from my home town. On that occasion, I was given a capsicum based patch, called Quetenza. Sadly, this did not help me at all.

Sadly, I have become very disillusioned with the lack of support, I receive, regarding pain relief, here in Northern Ireland. This is were, I hope I can call on folks like you, who have the same, or similar symptoms, as i have, for advice and help! I don’t know what else I can do, or who to contact. I dread to think, that there is nothing further, available to me. The mere thought of living each day with this stabbing, burning sensation, just doesn’t bare thinking about.

Any input and/or advice on the above matter, would mean a huge deal to me, as to my long term future, living with my diabetes.

Many thanks
Mark

Hi Mark,

So sorry to hear of your pain!

I've been experiencing pain resulting from nerve damage for the last few months, I totally understand the pain you've described. For myself it was stopping me being able to sleep which made everything else so much harder.

I've just been switched to a new medication which really seems to be helping, it might be worth asking if it would be of any help for yourself.Screenshot_20220421-115457343 (1).jpg

Hi there.
I've been on duloxetine for several years. I was taking one at night, the doctor has advised me to take one in the morning and then another at night. Sadly, no help. Thanks for your post anyway.

Have any of your pain consultants suggested using a TENS machine? They are particularly useful in neuropathy pain, because they numb specific nerves, depending on where you apply the patches. I use the machine for arthritic pain in my hip and knee. The best I’ve found is the Med-Fit 3, which is somewhere between £25-£30, and stick closely to the guide for where to apply the patches.

The first question is are you having a low-carb diet to both reduce weight and BS? The lower carbs will help avoid making the problem even worse. The drug Gabapentin used to be used a lot to control nerve pain. Has this been considered? It is a controlled drug my wife is currently having for nerve pain (not neuropathy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back