Nerve regeneration

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentmole

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I read in another post that once you get glucose levels under control that nerves, especially in the feet, can regenerate, is this true? I thought nerve damage was permanent, I get tingling and sharp pains in my toes and feet, can this be regeneration?

If the blood supply is good then I believe some nerve regeneration is possible. If blood supply is poor then it is less likely.
Keeping moving, like walking or pedaling (even whilst seated with one of those little exercise machines) will help stimulate blood flow to the feet and give them the best chance of improvement. It is also possible that Vitamin B12 deficiency may be causing the tingling and pains so might be worth asking for a blood test to check that out, particularly if you have been on Metformin for an extended period of time as it can affect your ability to absorb B12 both from your diet or even oral supplements. Some people occasionally need B12 injections to overcome this.

I read in another post that once you get glucose levels under control that nerves, especially in the feet, can regenerate, is this true? I thought nerve damage was permanent, I get tingling and sharp pains in my toes and feet, can this be regeneration?
Hello, it might be worth checking the following:
Do you have fallen arches ? Lack of support can cause sharp pains when walking and you can buy arch supports quite cheaply.
You can also be referred for physio for feet exercises to strengthen the muscles. Think ballerina moves.
If you are dehydrated and don't eat enough salt, it can cause cramps as well as the cold weather.
Wearing bed socks and ankle warmers helps to keep your feet and ankles warm.
Overdoing walking can also cause cramps.

Ok, thx for responding, some good ideas to try.

They can repair but it takes a long time apparently, see Dr. Bernstein videos.

They can repair but it takes a long time apparently, see Dr. Bernstein videos.
I hate to be a cynic but this Dr Bernstein sounds like a quack. I would stand on my head, diet like a pro and exercise like crazy and it wouldn't make an iota of difference. The octopus hold on my body will never leave me. I live with my physical limitations and can't work.

My feet have improved so much over the past week.. A couple of weeks ago I was almost in tears, as one of them was so bad. I seem to be keeping my BS in 5-6.5 range, which I think is good? (Newbie ‍♀️) I've thrown away all socks with elastic cuffs and started stretching, having spoken to a reflexologist, who lives in the village. She advised stretching, help keep the nerves that go down to the lower legs and feet clear..

One of our members @Pattidevans had some experience of nerve damage repairing itself (with physical symptoms during the process).

She found a ‘cocktail’ of supplements helpful that I think may be recommended elsewhere in the world by regular Drs.

Perhaps try a forum search for ‘neuropathy cocktail’ for more details of you think it might be worth asking your GP or practice nurse about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back