• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

Nerve endings in Feet

Aimee McDyre

Relationship to Diabetes
Hi,
I wondered if anyone can help me please. My dad has type 2 diabetes and has had it for around 16yrs. Recently he said his big toe folds under on one foot and he cannot feel it to straighten it back up, as a result he has started to stumble alot. It is really distressing. Can anybody suggest any help/advice/further prevention of this please?
He rang the doctor and she said (without seeing him) it is Arthritis, i dont believe it is, I'm sure it has to be related to the diabetes but as she said that he wont ring again (it took me months to get him to ring in the first instance) the diabetic nurse isnt holding appointments currently due to covid?
Many thanks

mikeydt1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
you could try looking online to see if there is a toe support as they do make and it might rectify the situation.

also looking after your dad do you get any support caring for him as social services can help, believe me i know how distressing it is to see your loved one struggling i have been there so many times over the years.

i agree with grovesy about trying to get your dads feet examined.

atoll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
i have found wearing slippers help after years of walking round in bare feet

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
I wondered if anyone can help me please. My dad has type 2 diabetes and has had it for around 16yrs. Recently he said his big toe folds under on one foot and he cannot feel it to straighten it back up, as a result he has started to stumble alot. It is really distressing. Can anybody suggest any help/advice/further prevention of this please?
He rang the doctor and she said (without seeing him) it is Arthritis, i dont believe it is, I'm sure it has to be related to the diabetes but as she said that he wont ring again (it took me months to get him to ring in the first instance) the diabetic nurse isnt holding appointments currently due to covid?
Many thanks

I was going to suggest hammer toe but that affects the smaller toes. I’ve never heard of it affecting the big toe. Does it fold under his second toe or are you saying it’s weak and is actually folding under his foot so that he catches it and stumbles?

Does he have a podiatrist he can see or speak to? Does his toe/foot look obviously abnormal? If so, can you take a photo and email it to his GP?

You’re right to be concerned it might be connected to his diabetes. It definitely needs checking if it’s causing him to stumble.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I hope he can arrange an appointment with a podiatrist to get it checked. We really do have to look after our tootsies!

Could you or he call the Diabetes UK helpline next week to chat things through with them? The helpline is open Monday-Friday 9-6 and the number is at the top of the page.

It sounds very worrying for you. Certainly you wouldn‘t want to have to go into hospital because of a fall with the current pressures on the NHS.