Needles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry G

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have been informed by my pharmacy that Novo Nordisk NovoTwist needles are not available until 2024, is this true and if so why. Does anybody know? I have been Type One for 44 years and I have never heard of this before.

I have been informed by my pharmacy that Novo Nordisk NovoTwist needles are not available until 2024, is this true and if so why. Does anybody know? I have been Type One for 44 years and I have never heard of this before.
I've never heard anyone on here mention that they use those, they certainly aren’t listed on my local CCG formulary. Your best bet might be emailing Novo Nordisk direct and asking them. Is there any particular reason you have this brand? I use whatever my Pharmacy dispenses for my Novopen Echos, I’m not allowed a choice. If I got some that I felt didn’t cut the mustard, I’d complain, but they’ve all seemed fine, some are harder to screw in, if this is an issue for you, but I’ve had BD microfine, which screw in cleanly, and I've just got a box of Mylife Clickfine, which I think @mikeyB recomends, which just push on.
Oh, nearly forgot, Welcome to the forum!

I use them for Novorapid, haven't been able to get them since possibly October? I hadn't heard about 2024. I have been eking out my "buffer" by using one a day, happy to do that though would not do that with the cheapo BD type needles I use for Levemir.
I really like using very different needles in both appearance and operation as an extra precaution against mixing up basal and bolus.
I am also finding it more difficult with increasing tremor to get the inner cap off the BD type ones without bending the needle and wasting it. Not a problem with the click-on ones, much better clearance.

It's not exactly the same but I generally use Owen Mumford TriCare screw-on 4mm/32g needles for my Tresiba and Novorapid pens. I've had a couple of instances where there have been supply issues and they have had to prescribe me an alternative, and in this case I've been given MyLife Clickfine 4mm/32g needles which, as @Robin says, just push on but then unscrew off.

I would have a chat with Novo Nordisk to see what is causing these supply issues, and also have a chat with your doctor/diabetic team to see if they can prescribe you an alternative. It's perhaps a good idea to maybe have a couple of choices, or maybe get your doctor to prescribe a generic so that the pharmacy can use whatever they have available. Most brands seem to be pretty good in my experience.

Hi. Unless there is a particular reason for using these needles, I would ask the surgery to go for one of the popular brands such as BD and GlucoRX on your prescription. These are readily available.

Hi. Unless there is a particular reason for using these needles, I would ask the surgery to go for one of the popular brands such as BD and GlucoRX on your prescription. These are readily available.
I was going to mention GlucoRX which is what I have on prescription.
However, I have recently had a few that are difficult to unscrew.

I’m sticking with MyLife Clickfine, though they are expensive. I get them on prescription, because I told the consultant what I used, and she told the GP to prescribe them. It’s the “diamond” tip that makes them stand out - I think that refers to the double shaping of the tip, not real diamonds!

This information did come through to the Diabetes UK Customer Care Centre in the middle of January. Hope you find the following details helpful:

Following a query from a caller, we have been advised that Novo Nordisk are having supply issues with the NovoTwist 5mm needles. See text below. They are expecting this to last till the end of March 2022 and recommend that patients having trouble collecting these as part of their prescription discuss possible alternatives with their healthcare professional.

Text of Novo Nordisk Message:

Thank you for your recent enquiry on the following subject:

I can confirm that Novo Nordisk is currently experiencing a supply disruption of NovoTwist 32G 5mm 100 pack due to increased global demand. This disruption is expected to last until Q1 2022.

NovoTwist needle is 5mm in length with a 32 gauge tip and is produced by Novo Nordisk. NovoTwist needles are designed to be used with Novo Nordisk devices only and are compatible with all Novo Nordisk pen devices.

NovoTwist 32G 5mm is a prescription only device. Therefore, patients who have trouble picking up prescriptions from their pharmacy should contact their healthcare professional to discuss the available alternatives.

If you receive any enquiries from supporters regarding this, please direct them to our customer care team by telephone (0800 023 2573) or this link where their enquiry and any further questions they may have can be responded to.​

This information did come through to the Diabetes UK Customer Care Centre in the middle of January. Hope you find the following details helpful:

Following a query from a caller, we have been advised that Novo Nordisk are having supply issues with the NovoTwist 5mm needles. See text below. They are expecting this to last till the end of March 2022 and recommend that patients having trouble collecting these as part of their prescription discuss possible alternatives with their healthcare professional.

Text of Novo Nordisk Message:

Thank you for your recent enquiry on the following subject:​
I can confirm that Novo Nordisk is currently experiencing a supply disruption of NovoTwist 32G 5mm 100 pack due to increased global demand. This disruption is expected to last until Q1 2022.​
NovoTwist needle is 5mm in length with a 32 gauge tip and is produced by Novo Nordisk. NovoTwist needles are designed to be used with Novo Nordisk devices only and are compatible with all Novo Nordisk pen devices.​
NovoTwist 32G 5mm is a prescription only device. Therefore, patients who have trouble picking up prescriptions from their pharmacy should contact their healthcare professional to discuss the available alternatives.​
If you receive any enquiries from supporters regarding this, please direct them to our customer care team by telephone (0800 023 2573) or this link where their enquiry and any further questions they may have can be responded to.​
Thanks, Mike, that's good to hear, I'd hate to be without them for good.

I was going to mention GlucoRX which is what I have on prescription.
However, I have recently had a few that are difficult to unscrew.
It’s not just me being week than a few I find diffcut to unscrew. Same needles I just thought it’s was me rather then the needles

Does not compute - you screw them on, so unless you screw em on too tight, they cannot be difficult to unscrew.

I can't unscrew the two halves of a new Libre sensor usually and frequently have the same trouble with jars of whatever. Never yet been beaten by a pen needle though!

Does not compute - you screw them on, so unless you screw em on too tight, they cannot be difficult to unscrew.

I can't unscrew the two halves of a new Libre sensor usually and frequently have the same trouble with jars of whatever. Never yet been beaten by a pen needle though!
Well maybe I screw them on too tight then

If the threads aren't precise they can be very teuch to come off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back