Needle phobia

Status
Not open for further replies.

aymes

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
This isn't something I've ever experienced myself however I was wondering if any of you have any experiences/tips around needle phobias?
A friend (not diabetic) of mine has to inject herself once a week for a different condition. At first she was fine with it but over the last month or so she seems to have developed a bit if a phobia around it, getting stressed about it, feeling very sick etc, once the injection is done that all goes off.

She asked me if I have any tips but I've really never had any problems injecting so don't know what to suggest, any ideas?

Hi , when i wasn put on the pump i was with a lady who was needle phobic and thats why she was given the pump , she can handle the pump because even when you put the canula in you never see the needle . So maybe she could have the pump .

I have a slight needle phobia. When I was diagnosed I didn't think i'd be able to inject 4 times a day. When my DSN first showed me the 6mm neddle, she was like "See it's tiny", I said "As if it's HUGE". It took me about 10mins to build up the courage to stick it in me. Since then each injection was difficult, I was not looking forward to food because I knew it meant another injection. Basically for me, each injection took a bit less time to do and each time I felt a bit less anxious until I'm at the stage now where I still hesitate, but only for a second or two then I can do it. When I go in for blood tests I still ask to not be showed the needle and to be laid down before they do it, as it makes me feel horrible and dizzy sometimes. If her needle phobia is that extreme that she's feeling sick at the thought of doing it, I would recommend her speaking to her GP and asking for some sessions with a psychologist as this is offered for needle phobics on the NHS. They will be able to give the best advice.

Isn't there some sort of device that you can fit over the needle so you can't see it? Can't remember what it is called, but that might be a possibility.

There are devices for injecting insulin which hide the needle, like these, so I would hope there are similar ones for other types of injection needles. Without knowing what she's injecting it's hard to find out.

I have a very strong needle phobia. I'm ok with doing my daily injections as it's only into flesh, but i have a big problem with intraveinous injections/blood tests. So much so that i haven't had a blood test now for nearly 2 years - possibly a slight issue there as i'm sure when i go to see the consultant next month he'll see there are again no results on my kidney & liver function or Hba1c figures. For me it's a hurdle that i can't get over - when i first became diabetic (3yrs ago) i refused any treatment involving needles literally until i could no longer physically resist. When i was 'out-of-it' in intensive care any time anything that vaguely looked like a needle came near me i was in a major trauma - apparently that included a thermometer (i don't remember).

Any solutions/help that anyone has would be good for me too.

OK, Aymes, just to check the facts relating to your friend with needle phobia:
once weekly injection - you've stated that
what means of administration? (possibly intramuscular? possibly subcutaneous, like insulin?)
what site / part of body?

So, is it possible someone else could give the injection to her, so that the other person can keep needle out of sight until last minute?
As it's weekly, I'm assuming that means there's actually several hours leeway in when it's given.
Is a different part of body possible?

Only other thing I'd suggest is to build on the feeling of relief after the injection. If your friend can concentrate on how she'll feel afterwards, perhaps that could minimise the strees & nausea feelings she experiences before hand. Is it's so bad that she can't cope, then definitely ask for psychological help. It's possible that, as she was OK initially, and is now finding it difficult, it's tied up with delayed reaction to the condition and / or starting injectable medication.

For Alan's blood test problems - as blood is only taken very infrequently, other techniques, such as hypnosis might be worth exploring? The NHS can and does offer such treatment, although waiting lists may be long in some areas.

I am needle phobic and couldn't even look at a needle without it making me cringe.

Every time I used to go for a blood test my veins would go into retreat and the nurse would have a real hard time trying to get a vein up.

So when just about a year ago the doctor decided I had to go onto insulin you can imagine how I felt.

The idea of injecting was not something I was looking forward to but as it was a case of injecting or my health deteriating I really had little choice. I accepted that somehow I was going to have to tolerate it.

The nurse was very understanding and gave me 5mm needles. The first time I came to inject, it took me about 20 mins to pluck up the courage to do it, but once it was done it didn't seem so bad.

Gradually over time I have become less sensitive about the thought of injecting and now I hardly give it a second thought. I still don't like needles and can't look at the point of one without it making me feel odd but I don't have a problem injecting any more.

I think that it's a matter of mind over matter and knowing that your health would be effected if you didn't inject helps you to tolerate the injections.

I can understand needle phobia, but the thing alot of non diabetics dont realise is the difference between intra veinous and sub cuntaneous.......

Some folk thing we go straight into a vein, can you imagine..............

I'm also needle phobic and was told in March that I needed to inject insulin. I actually only started injecting about 2 months ago and, thanks to help from DSN, psychologist, friends etc it's getting easier.

My tips are:
- try and do it at a set time and then keep yourself busy in the hour before you plan to do it. This stops you building up the anxiety levels.
- watch a music video to help distract and relax you. I've watched Rhianna and Eminim twice a day for the last 2 months! Loved the song but am now getting slightly bored!!!
- having a little routine also helps.
- I have a 'thing' about injecting against my skin, so use a piece of fabric tape as a barrier. My DSN gave me the tape and it does work. As it's thin and holelt, it doesn't affect the needle.
- I use 4mm needles which were only made available in the last couple of months.
- I also use a Penmate which hides the needle so I can't see it! Looking at it makes me worse!!
- chatting to the psychologist hopes and explains how my phobia started in the first place.

Hope you find the above useful! I'm just about to start doing 3 injections a day from tonight so am slowly getting there!!! 🙂

Ironically one of the reasons it took so long for my daughter to be diagnosed was that she was needle phobic! Doc kept saying there was nothing wrong with her but that he would do blood tests if her health continued to worry me :(
She actually doesnt mind injecting herself mostly - but has never let anyone else do it. We have a good friend who shakes just at the thought of K injecting in the other room.
I think if any phobia is so bad it is effecting your quality of life a psycologist is the only answer.

Good advice so far and nothing I can add, but am I alone in not being afraid to inject myself but don't like anyone else coming near me with a needle. Usually I have to look away and start perspiring, it may be psychological with being so use to injecting myself over the years that I mis-trust anyone else.:confused:

I had hypnotherapy for my needle phobia and I have to say it worked. It was for a reason other than diabetes and I hated both subcutaeneous (?sp) and intravenous and would work myself up into a physical wreck when I knew the needles were coming. I paid for mine, but only because I couldn't deal with the waiting list but I have to say it was worth every penny.

Good advice so far and nothing I can add, but am I alone in not being afraid to inject myself but don't like anyone else coming near me with a needle. Usually I have to look away and start perspiring, it may be psychological with being so use to injecting myself over the years that I mis-trust anyone else.:confused:

You're not alone! :D I am quite happy with doing my own blood tests & injections (changing canulas has taken a bit of getting used to but it's more or less ok now!) but HATE anyone else coming at me with a needle! Blood tests I'm ok with from being quite used to them I guess, but not a fan of intramuscular jabs... I always put it down to diabetics being control freaks as we're used to doing it ourselves lol! 🙄

I always put it down to diabetics being control freaks as we're used to doing it ourselves lol! 🙄

You have summed it up much better than I did Twitchy, we are 'control freaks ' with having to administer our own drugs every day of our lives.

Twitchy & Toby. I'm 110% behind you here.

Only difference is I can't look away. I remember TB day at school and taking a right roasting for asking if I could do my own (I realise now how daft and smart ar... Bummed that sound) and again for refusing to look at the trees outside.

I find the anti ipation can be as bad or worse than the event itself. I think that's why the GP grabs me when I pick up a prescription to make sure I get flu and pneumonia jeckies when I'm off guard. That could be an idea in some cases to avoid build up fear. Maybe not in this case but might help others?!?

Is it possible for someone else to help with the injections sometimes? Maybe your friend could have a chat with her doctor or counsellor to see if they can establish when the phobia started and a possible cause?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back