Needle-Infused Ingestible Pill May Replace Painful Injections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Do you have an impending feeling of dread every time you visit your family doctor because you think that they might suggest you take an injection? A newly-developed ingestible pill may put your fears to rest entirely, as it may completely replace the need for an injection. There is a catch though - the pill is filled with tiny needles.

The researchers from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), who have developed the revolutionary capsule, said, there is no need to shudder at the thought of swallowing microscopic needles, as it isn't painful and comes with no harmful side effects. The results of the study, published in the Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, tested the microneedle pill in the gastrointestinal (GI) tracts of pigs.

http://www.gizmodo.in/indiamodo/Nee...e-Painful-Injections/articleshow/44810682.cms

Good grief, I'd rather have the needle where I can see it if it's all the same 😱

I'd rather have a real needle than that too!

I'm always slightly amused by the fuss some people make about needles, they have to have one single one for something and carry on as if it's the end of the world! Yes I know some people have genuine phobias but I don't think that covers everybody. When I was young we were having vaccinations at school and because everyone else was making a fuss about it I went home making a fuss too. And my mum said "well I have to have 2 (as it was then) injections every day and you don't hear me complaining about it". Um, well, yes, that told me then - ever since then I have never allowed needles to bother me.

My hubby doesn't like needles and always cringes when injections are shown on the telly, and gets really upset when he has to have one - but since daughter's dx he has tried to be brave about them (and did inject her a few times, which I was well impressed with).

My MIL was talking to her sister on the phone last week, and the sister was apparently moaning and wailing quite a lot about how her husband, who has been having health problems for some time, has now been told that he's got to give himself an injection in the stomach every day for a whole six months. My MIL was not sympathetic at all and told her sister all about how brave her 8-year-old granddaughter is!

I wonder if these people would prefer a pill full of needles?

😱 Don't fancy that at all! 😱

When I broke my leg the Swedish doctors sent me home with a box of injections to take (think they were anti-clotting ones). This was long before diagnosis with D. I remember doing a few of them and they really hurt (injected in stomach) and left big bruises, so I really hated them - had never been bothered about others giving me injections, but doing them myself was really hard because I didn't feel I knew what I was doing (I'd had no instruction). When I went to the GP to have the stitches out I asked about the injections and they said I didn't need them, apparently they often use them as a matter of course abroad but not here.

Who would have thought 4 years later I'd be doing injections several times a day for the rest of my life?!! Needles for insulin pens much smaller though - the Swedish syringes were about 12 mm and of course I pushed them in much further than they probably needed to go 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back