Need to frequently test with pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJLang

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
You may want to move this to the pump section BUT those on pumps may not look at that section as often as they do at this one. I just wanted to highlight the importance of regular testing with pumps to prevent serious problems. I was having a good BG day today confirmed by both testing machine and Libre. When I was 5.2 at 5.30 I thought that I was on a downward trend so a little surprised an hour later that I was 7.3 at 5.30. But nothing to worry about because I hadn't eaten since 1pm and Gastroparesis was behaving itself. I happened to swipe with Libre at 7pm 13.8 only 1.5 hours after the 7.3. Confirmed by finger prick test. Changed cannula, pulled off original one and there was a clear leak. Corrected it but it took 50 minutes to get down to 12.5 (at its highest was 15.2). I dread to think what would have happened if I hadn't swiped with the Libre or this had happened during the night. I NEED my pump but this is the third time recently that cannula issues have highlighted how rapidly my BG can rise. I've a feeling that this may be a faulty batch of Cannulas but as I put all of the cannula boxes in one drawer together I can only check this in the future. For reference I rotate my sites and these three problems have all been on different sites. The reason for my most is as a gentle reminder of the importance of testing very regularly when on a pump.

Wholeheartedly agree with this post. I'm new to a pump but after one of my sets failed I ended up in a&e with borderline dka because of how quickly my sugars had risen.

Test test test and then test some more!

Glad you are ok x

Grainger and AJ, I'm glad you're both all right now. And of course you're absolutely right about testing.
I've had a few of these bent filaments recently Bent cannula.JPG (problems with the plungers in some of my latest batch). If you click to expand you will see that the filament is bent and clearly didn't enter the skin even though it felt as if it did. Everything looked as normal until my BG started to rise out of control. The site didn't feel damp even though I took multiple top ups of insulin, so I don't know where the insulin went! Testing was the only thing that alerted me.

This shot of my Libre screen BG rise.JPG shows how quickly BG rises with a cannula fail. I had changed the cannula just after lunch. BG started to rise as expected but when it got to 14 I knew something was wrong and changed the cannula again. However BG carried on rising so I changed it for a third time and that's when I took the picture of the bent filament so that I'd have something to send to the manufacturers. I took some emergency insulin using my pen in addition to the pump insulin but as you can see it was many hours before my BG came back down to a reasonable level in spite of not eating or drinking carbs for the rest of the day.

I couldn't be sure that the final cannula of the day was inserted and working correctly until the pen insulin was out of my system. Then I knew it would be insulin from the pump that was bringing my BG down further. So in addition to being mathematicians and dieticians we also need to have deductive reasoning skills!

I had DKA once many years ago and I never, ever want to experience it again so I test compulsively. Recently my diabetic consultant gave me the standard advice that I test too often but this advice is just so wrong for pump users. We need to test more often, not less!

Attachments

• Bent cannula.JPG
    Bent cannula.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 4
I posted a long time ago about cannulas not going in right. I always change my sets right after just being in shower/bath. Skin is soft & clean. 🙂.

I have sure t-sets now which is the metal needle that stays in you rather than plastic. Am less worried with these and touch wood so far no issues

I have sure t-sets now which is the metal needle that stays in you rather than plastic. Am less worried with these and touch wood so far no issues

Hi Grainger, what do the metal cannulas feel like? I imagine I'd be more aware of them under my skin.

Hi Grainger, what do the metal cannulas feel like? I imagine I'd be more aware of them under my skin.

Don't notice it, only difference is that I have 2 patches stuck to my skin, one with the metal cannula and the other is the clip bit where you can unattach it from the pump.
Less packaging too, you inject yourself rather than using an 'inserter'.

I have had a recent batch of cannulas that have had virtually no sticky at all. They seem okay when put in but as soon as I dress and clothes move over them they fall out. On a couple of occasions this has only been apparent through swipe with the Libre. Like others I was amazed at how quickly BGs rise. I know the theory is there but it was a shock to see this. Test, test, test ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back