need some advice, non D related and possibly TMI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just recently I have noticed that I er...sweat alot more than usual. And whatever type of deodorant I wear, no matter how much I wear of it, my tops end up getting a bit of a nasty pong around the arm pit area. Now I don't notice it to start with, but after putting said tops in the wash and wearing them again as the day goes on I notice that I start to smell a bit...er...nasty. It's very embarrasing and is starting to give me a complex. I'm getting more and more paranoid that I myself smell...even though a huge crying session with Matt he's telling me its not me that smells, its just somehow my tops end up doing so...

I don't know why this is happening. It's not like I don't wash my clothes. It's not like I don't wear deodorant and I certainly pride myself on being a clean individual who smells nice...

But I'm very embarrassed and very upset over this, because I have to go out to town yet again and buy yet more tops which I can't help but think will end up smelling really bad. I don't know what to do :(

Any ideas? I'm wondering if maybe there's a bettwe, stronger brand of ladies deodorant out there that might help stop it, but then that'll just make me think that I do smell.

Urgh, I just don't even know :(

Have you noticed if you feel more clammy for example after eating?... not sure what exactly that means, but I'm sure it's something they ask at diabetic clinic periodically?! Or have you had any more hypos recently? I tend to get sweaty when hypo?

(btw I can recommend Dove cream deo - it's gentle but effective! 🙂)

Have you noticed if you feel more clammy for example after eating?... not sure what exactly that means, but I'm sure it's something they ask at diabetic clinic periodically?! Or have you had any more hypos recently? I tend to get sweaty when hypo?

(btw I can recommend Dove cream deo - it's gentle but effective! 🙂)

Not that I've noticed, i think its probably something to do with the fact I walk a long way each morning and evening. That and its always really hot in my office.

They ask that because its a symptom of autonomic nueropathy...it's something I have thought about I have to admit.

Thanks, I'll pick some up and give it a go. Is that the roll on?

I think its something that you should talk to your gp about if its worrying you Sam.

Its probably to do with all the exercise and the hot environment your in and nothing else. Can you wear short sleeved tops in the office if its that hot, maybe get a fan on the desk? You can buy wipes and maybe freshen up at work to make you feel more confident and comfortable.

I think the smell tends to come when the bacteria accumulate in the sweaty areas, so 'fresh' sweat doesn't normally smell bad. I'm not implying in the slightest that you don't keep yourself clean btw! How do you wash your clothes - in a machine with a biological powder/liquid, plus a conditioner? It might be that the clothes just arene't getting clean enough in the wash and the aroma appears when the clothes get warm (like when you have been wearing them for a little while). Also, how do you dry them? Are you able to hang them outside, or is it possible that they remain damp for some time? This, I have found in the past, can be the biggest cause of pongs, and nothing to do with sweat at all.

I think the smell tends to come when the bacteria accumulate in the sweaty areas, so 'fresh' sweat doesn't normally smell bad. I'm not implying in the slightest that you don't keep yourself clean btw! How do you wash your clothes - in a machine with a biological powder/liquid, plus a conditioner? It might be that the clothes just arene't getting clean enough in the wash and the aroma appears when the clothes get warm (like when you have been wearing them for a little while). Also, how do you dry them? Are you able to hang them outside, or is it possible that they remain damp for some time? This, I have found in the past, can be the biggest cause of pongs, and nothing to do with sweat at all.

you might be right on the mark. We dry our clothes on one of those hanger things that take ages to dry. I've noticed too that Matt tends to stuff the machine really full - I've mentioned it to him but it falls on deaf ears...

I might start using the tumble drier...

Also, chucking out the nasty ones and buying new ones tomorrow. It's just...horrible :( I feel so embarrased because even though I know myself that its not a cleanliness issue I can't help but feel that people notice these things :(

I think its something that you should talk to your gp about if its worrying you Sam.

Its probably to do with all the exercise and the hot environment your in and nothing else. Can you wear short sleeved tops in the office if its that hot, maybe get a fan on the desk? You can buy wipes and maybe freshen up at work to make you feel more confident and comfortable.

wipes? I had no idea they existed. I might have to do that...

I would see my GP...but last time I tried mentioning it to him he ushered me out of the office because my time was up :/

you might be right on the mark. We dry our clothes on one of those hanger things that take ages to dry. I've noticed too that Matt tends to stuff the machine really full - I've mentioned it to him but it falls on deaf ears...

I might start using the tumble drier...

Also, chucking out the nasty ones and buying new ones tomorrow. It's just...horrible :( I feel so embarrased because even though I know myself that its not a cleanliness issue I can't help but feel that people notice these things :(

I've got a washer/dryer now so I use the dryer when the weather isn't good enough to hang things outside. I don't find it uses too much electricity, and if this is the problem then it would be cheaper than buying new tops! Washers need to have fairly full loads as they get cleaned by rubbing against each other (but not too full!), but dryers need room for the warm air to circulate so should only be half full. Look at me - Northerner the Domestic Goddess! 😉

wipes? I had no idea they existed. I might have to do that...

I would see my GP...but last time I tried mentioning it to him he ushered me out of the office because my time was up :/

I presume they do deodorant wipes, they do them for other ahem freshen ups dont they?

See another gp then, your health not theirs remember.

As Northerner says - if clothes take too long to dry they can get musty.

If the problem persists - then go back and see the GP - they can prescribe stronger deodorants and check there is no underlying cause for the problem. In severe cases I have heard that they can use botox injections to prevent the sweating - but that is a last resort as we sweat for a reason.

Thanks guys. Am sat here feeling rather paranoid, going out later and don't want to end up having to leave out of my own paranoia/embarrasment.

Matt said we'll do a hot wash later on when we're on offpeak hours of just my tops (we have economy 7 electric), problem with that though is that we'll be in bed by the time it finishes...unless they'll be ok left for a few hours before going in the drier tomorrow? (Matts working all day tomorrow so I'll do it when he's not looking and can't bug me against the electric).

I'm still gonna have to do a huge throw out...some of them are beyond saving...and going to primark tomorrow. But we'll see.

I'd avoid leaving them in the machine wet/damp Sam - better to take the hit on the electricity now and use the cheaper rate to dry them? I used to be on Economy 7 and it's a right pain I know because you pay more for the peak. Might be worth looking at your meter and seeing how much a wash dry costs you - it's probably not a huge amount.

I'd avoid leaving them in the machine wet/damp Sam - better to take the hit on the electricity now and use the cheaper rate to dry them? I used to be on Economy 7 and it's a right pain I know because you pay more for the peak. Might be worth looking at your meter and seeing how much a wash dry costs you - it's probably not a huge amount.

there's a plan! I'll have to just tell Matt straight later on, it's happening and I'll pay the difference if he makes too much of a fuss 🙄
It is such a pain that economy 7...we do all of the dishwasher stuff at night. I think Matt worries about how much using the washer costs in the day so puts it on at night/early morning and then the clothes just get left there til we get up/get in from work :/

I think we may have hit the nail on the head right there.

..............Look at me - Northerner the Domestic Goddess! 😉...................
I was just thinking that Northerner! What washing powder do you think is best?

I could do with you here because the wife's been in New York all week. That reminds me that I better start doing something before she gets back. Just where do I start? 😱

I was just thinking that Northerner! What washing powder do you think is best?

I could do with you here because the wife's been in New York all week. That reminds me that I better start doing something before she gets back. Just where do I start? 😱

Clean the kitchen John! And hoover the carpets! As for washing powder, I just tend to buy whatever's on special offer - they've been claiming their detergents get stiff 'whiter than white' since I was a nipper, so they can't have got that much better! 🙂

Hey, we have economy 7 too. We have both the washing machine and the dishwasher on a timer. So we set them that the washing machine comes on at about 3.30am and the dishwasher at 5am. Ok the washing stays in the machine until about 9am, but I don't find that the clothes smell because of that.

But I have noticed that if I overfill the washing machine, the clothes will have soap streaks on them.

Clean the kitchen John! And hoover the carpets! As for washing powder, I just tend to buy whatever's on special offer - they've been claiming their detergents get stiff 'whiter than white' since I was a nipper, so they can't have got that much better! 🙂

And the loos! But don't forget to buy her a big bunch of flowers (and not from the local garage on the way to the airport😛)

Bit of a random one here, but if you ever have a bad stain / damp pong to get out of an item, stick some nappisan in with the detergent in the wash drawer! Brilliant stuff, the only good thing to come out of trying (briefly lol!) reusable nappies! We still use it in most washes as it's great at getting out baby puke, puree stains & nappy breach stains! :D

My daughter had a similar problem when she was younger you can get some good Mitchum deodrants to help you. Sometimes the synthetic materials hold the smell more than materials like cotton. Unfortunately sometimes the only answer is to throw the offending tops away but try them on a hotter wash first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back