Need Major Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmaw2015

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone, hope you are well and healthy.
I am after some help on behalf of my mum.
She has recently been diagnosed with high cholesterol, Type 2 diabetes and been sent on her merry way with statin and metaformin, no more info than that!

My mum is 65 an not clued up on researching the Internet, so being 2 hours away from her i have been researching and texting things over what she can eat etc. She is very old school and sending her ideas for all the good stuff that will keep her healthy is becoming a challenge as she doesn't seem to like change. She is also waiting on an endoscopy after finding blood so she is majorly stressed and down about everything what is going on..

Anyway I'm wanting to know about the carb thing, I'm often low carb dieting so it is pretty simple for me but is there a set amount of carbs someone with diabetes should have in a day? Or any other tips / advice you can share with me would massively help.

She is always saying she is starving!!

She has made some changes.no more cakes! Changed to sweeter. Has wholemeal rather than white etc.

Thank you x

Last edited:
Welcome @Emmaw2015 🙂 The daily carb amount will vary depending on the person. One person might be fine eating 120g carbs a day, but another might only tolerate 50g. A good place to start is to look at an average day’s food for your mum pre-diagnosis, then see how you can reduce the carbs. You can also look at places where you can add extra green veg and other very low carb veg.

Does your mum have a blood glucose meter?

Hi Everyone, hope you are well and healthy.
I am after some help on behalf of my mum.
She has recently been diagnosed with high cholesterol, Type 2 diabetes and been sent on her merry way with statin and metaformin, no more info than that!

My mum is 65 an not clued up on researching the Internet, so being 2 hours away from her i have been researching and texting things over what she can eat etc. She is very old school and sending her ideas for all the good stuff that will keep her healthy is becoming a challenge as she doesn't seem to like change. She is also waiting on an endoscopy after finding blood so she is majorly stressed and down about everything what is going on..

Anyway I'm wanting to know about the carb thing, I'm often low carb dieting so it is pretty simple for me but is there a set amount of carbs someone with diabetes should have in a day? Or any other tips / advice you can share with me would massively help.

She is always saying she is starving!!

She has made some changes.no more cakes! Changed to sweeter. Has wholemeal rather than white etc.

Thank you x
It seems to be a typical story people are sent away without much advice. Many people find a low carb approach is successful, that being less than 130g per day total carbohydrates. If she is hungry then increasing protein and healthy fats will help.
This link may help to find a way forward with meal ideas as it is low carb with real foods.

Hi. I agree with Leadinglights. Carbs are not an absolutely essential part of the diet as long as you have fats, proteins, veg and some fruit. Your Mum should find she is less carb hungry once she has changed her diet. The Metformin will help reduce blood sugar a bit and make sure she only has a statin dose that brings her back into line with the next blood test; some GPs over-prescribe. If she has bowel issues with the Metformin which doesn't clear do ask for the Slow Release version.

Hi Emma, I was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes after mis diagnosed with type two a month earlier, my nurse suggested a carb free meal a day while i was diagnosed with type 2, I think the most important thing for me was making realistic changes. I would make huge promises to myself early in my diagnosis which I was very quick to become bored of, Inka has a great suggestion where looking at past diet and making small but gradual changes and slowly swapping out foods for healthier options would be the best way to go forward. Wishing you All the best 🙂 I bet the support is well appreciated!

Welcome @Newbetic 🙂 Looking forward to hearing more from you about your Type 1 diagnosis. I hope you’re feeling better now you have the correct diagnosis.

Thank you so much all of you for taking the time to reply to me, she spent the weekend with me over the bank holiday and she said she had ate like a king .. now she is home she is starving again. Ive now been hard on her and told her to get herself together and basically stop starving herself.

Thank you for the link to, I will print a load of stuff off and take it with me tomorrow for her as I am off to London to take her to the hospital for her colonscopy

Hope the appointment goes well tomorrow @Emmaw2015

Sounds like your mum enjoyed the foods you prepared, but perhaps gets a bit stuck when trying to fend for herself?

It can take a bit of adjustment in the early days, and as has been said adding healthy fats and protein can help you feel fuller for longer, but can feel a bit counterintuitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back