Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcroucher12

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am not the one who has type 2 diabetes but my friend does and he also suffers from high blood pressure just not that long ago he ended up in the hospital for this . So I started to try and learn as much as possible on all things diabetic and checked his sugars on numerous times throughout the day he has only one time been at 7 mml/L . So I started looking at foods and recipes to give him. The main issue I think is the main problem he likes to eat out or has other friends cook for him and every time I test his sugars are 12 up to 27 mml/L our last meal he ate at restaurant just said consult healthcare professional. I am on a constant battle trying to explain that we do not know how they cook their foods and the best way to get his sugars on a regular healthy number is too cook ourselves. At least until we can get them regulated.I am constanly looking like the bad person and need help trying to convince him I am only trying to help him but he needs to as well and not listen to pthers who do not know how bad he is.what can I do to scare him into understanding how severe it is woth numbers not going lower usually than 14mml/L

You could try by saying you don't want him to lose a foot, or go blind, but unfortunately it is ultimately down to him to buckle down and address his diet and lifestyle.
Cutting down carbs is a good place to start besides the obvious sugary things like cake and biscuits. It's possible to eat out in restaurants if you go easy on the chips, pasta, rice and bread.
The same with home cooking: large portions of protein and leafy veg if he will eat it, and reduced portions of starchy carbs.
You could also try telling him how much better he will feel if he reduces his sugars but if may fall on deaf ears. Best of luck to you.

The trouble is scare tactics can work with some people but with others they just shut their ears and think it will never happen to them. It was a shock to me that when my other half was in hospital recently the other three patients in the room were there with various complications of diabetes, one was refusing his insulin or other treatment despite already having had an amputation. It was only when his son told him he wasn't going to look after him and he would have to go into a care home that he agreed to the treatment.
Those high blood glucose levels are really not doing him any good and he must be feeling pretty awful when they are in the high teens.
I think people do get the impression that it has to be all sack cloth and ashes when it comes to diet which is going to be suitable but nothing could be further from the truth, it is a matter of making the right food choices. Even eating out can be managed, what is not to like about steak with salad and coleslaw or veg, just go easy on anything with chips, rice or pasta and avoid the puddings as with very few exceptions they are high carbs.
There are plenty of ideas in this link for homecooked meals which are low carb based on real food. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
The principals in the link have been successful for many in both reducing blood glucose and losing weight if he needs to.
Cooking meals in bulk and freezing portions helps as you can then have a 'ready meal' from the freezer rather than from the local takeaway.
Puddings at home can be sugarfree jelly with berries and cream, high protein yoghurt or Kvarg deserts.
Nuts and cheese make better snacks than crisps.
Levels so high need to be taken seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back