Need help treating hypo's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruthelliot

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Ben is only just three and will not drink lucozade or any fizzy juices. He is having a LOT of hypo's these days. Previously we would start him off with 100ml fresh orange juice and this seemed to bring him up reasonably quickly but our new dsn did explain that as this was fructose rather than glucose it may not always bring him up quickly enough. Sure enough lately he has been having worse hypos and we have been using glucogel which he takes and works well. We are going through a ton of these and need to get them on prescription which is a bit of a pain. I need something which I can easy carry in my handbag and only around 10g and preferably gel or liquid form as if he is really bad he wont eat. Any suggestions?

What about Ribena or other sugary squash? You could drink the cordial neat if necessary, then you couldn't have to carry much around with you? Or GlucoJuice, which you can buy in small bottles from medicalshop.com - they sometimes have promotions on, or free postage when you spend over ?15.

Last edited:
You can buy tubs of liquid glucose from large chemists (eg b**ts etc). The tub I had last time is pretty small and would easily fit in a handbag, then you'd just need a teaspoon or similar to get it into him. Doesn't taste quite like glucogel though.

i had glucojuice for graham as well but few days ago i cuold not see it in boots is not on the market anymore ?

Would he eat jelly babies? Only takes 1 or 2 for a sharp rise. I know you said he wont eat so this is probably not going to work, but they are soft so even if he bites their head off (little bit of a game here 😉) it would get him up enough to enable you to get something else like glucotabs into him. Not easy with a 3 yr old, I'll grant!
Glodee

i dont like fizzy what so ever the hospital told me to try pure orange juice instead as still works as fast.. i also buy the gluco tab's you can get different flavors and they taste better then the gluco gels you get on precription although i do get my gluco gel's in a box of 3 which will be ok in ya hand bag as once he has had one and bin it fruit pastles work good too was told to use them as i have problems with my hypo's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back