need a little help dont know what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenmcrobbie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
hi i'm a type 2 i'm on glucophage sr 500mg 1 twice a day 4 some time now and i keep getting thirsty and feeling tired a lot and not eating a lot and going to the loo a lot at night and i have been watching what i eat as well plus not been sleeping well at all, i have been telling my diabetic nurse but i feeling i'm getting no where we ma nurse or gp can any one help so that i can know what to say to them when i next go an see them, sorry for being a bit of a fuss plus ma spelling

thanks

No need to appologise for being a fuss and as long as it is clear what you mean, don't worry about your spelling, mine is not brilliant either.

Try keeping a diary. Write down what you eat and when you eat. Also keep a note of when you sleep, how long for and how you felt before and after. A diary will help pin point any problems and show if there is a pattern.

If you are not sleeping well, that will affect how you feel, and you will feel more sleepy if you are having problems with your sleeping. Try to establish a relaxing bedtime routine, and have everything you need ready. The more relaxed you are at bed time, the better you sleep.

If possible (although not easy if you feel thirsty) try to avoid drinking too late. If I drink too close to bed time, I'm up a couple of times in the night. One of the reasons you need to pee a lot is your body is getting rid of the extra sugar in your system, then you feel thirsty to replace the lost fluids.

Keep talking to the nurse and to your doctor, and if you have a diary it will help them help you. Sometimes we have to persevere and keep telling them this is how we feel.

I hope you feel better soon, and keep an eye on things as someone else is sure to be along with more suggestions and ideas.

Hi Steven,

What are your blood glucose levels?

If they are high then I assume that you know it's important for a non-insulin dependent Type 2 to cut back on the starchy carbohydrates - i.e. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta and rice. That usually leads to a big improvement in blood glucose levels - and quickly too.

Best wishes - John

Hi stevie dont apologise your not making a fuss this is your health so its important and worth making a fuss over, i am on the same pills but twice a day, I find at night i go to the toilet regular and i have that thirsty feeling, i can admit to quite easily going through 4 litres of water.The lack of sleep will cause you to feel lethargic during the day thus causing you to stress more then likely and that wont help your BS levels, you keep going at your nurse and gp sometimes its worth being forceful to get somewhere x

good luck

Hi Steven, are you able to test your levels? If so, what are they? As Caroline says, keeping a record will help your nurse/doctor work out if the symptoms are due to your levels being too high and you may need your medication adjusting. If you can't test then insist on being provided with the means to do so, as this is affecting your quality of life. What has your HbA1c been like recently?

Hi Steven,

Sorry to hear you're having this issue, sometimes our health professionals need to be told multiple times. Keeping a diary is a good idea, always good to have some evidence to go back with.

DP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back