Nearly my 1 year anniversary of Type 2 Diabetes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiler123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Everyone

Just coming up to my 12 month Type 2 diagnosis anniversary! Whoop whoop! I've gone from a HbA1C of 83 on diagnosis to 43 within the first three months, then to 45 on the next test and due another test in a month, but my private results is 43 again. (I like to "check in" a month before to get an indication).

I've used a sensor to educate myself about what I respond to and what sort of BG patterns I have. Like some people on here, I can be quite elevated on a morning (not every day , but some days). Seems to come and go in waves and I can easily climb up to 8.5/9 ish before food. Other days I will hover steadily at 6 or slightly less. It seems to improve after food, again as many people on here have explained.

Currently on 2 x 500g slow release Metformin. I do experience hypos in waves, usually during the night. I've not really seen a pattern to any underlying cause of them, but eating a small snack before I go to bed seems to stop it. It can happen in the early evening but never experienced it at any other time of the day. GP is monitoring this and will discuss next month.

My question is really about what effect exercise has on those with the morning highs. If I do a aerobic type workout when I get up, it doesn't have a big effect on the morning peaks. If I go for a power walk in the evening. my level will drop noticeably and pretty quickly. I'm not sure if there is a solution to the morning peaks, but would welcome approaches that people have tried . I know we're all a bit different but I'd be pleased to hear any ideas.

Also, I would welcome some new breakfast ideas. I do love Greek Yoghurt but I feel like I'm at saturation point with it. I can't stomach eggs on a morning. Sometimes I have the continental approach of olives, cheese, cooked meat etc. Any other breakfast inspiration? [If I try toast or, heaven forbid, cereal I'll be in double figures rapidly and for half the morning lol].

All the best!

Hi Everyone

Just coming up to my 12 month Type 2 diagnosis anniversary! Whoop whoop! I've gone from a HbA1C of 83 on diagnosis to 43 within the first three months, then to 45 on the next test and due another test in a month, but my private results is 43 again. (I like to "check in" a month before to get an indication).

I've used a sensor to educate myself about what I respond to and what sort of BG patterns I have. Like some people on here, I can be quite elevated on a morning (not every day , but some days). Seems to come and go in waves and I can easily climb up to 8.5/9 ish before food. Other days I will hover steadily at 6 or slightly less. It seems to improve after food, again as many people on here have explained.

Currently on 2 x 500g slow release Metformin. I do experience hypos in waves, usually during the night. I've not really seen a pattern to any underlying cause of them, but eating a small snack before I go to bed seems to stop it. It can happen in the early evening but never experienced it at any other time of the day. GP is monitoring this and will discuss next month.

My question is really about what effect exercise has on those with the morning highs. If I do a aerobic type workout when I get up, it doesn't have a big effect on the morning peaks. If I go for a power walk in the evening. my level will drop noticeably and pretty quickly. I'm not sure if there is a solution to the morning peaks, but would welcome approaches that people have tried . I know we're all a bit different but I'd be pleased to hear any ideas.

Also, I would welcome some new breakfast ideas. I do love Greek Yoghurt but I feel like I'm at saturation point with it. I can't stomach eggs on a morning. Sometimes I have the continental approach of olives, cheese, cooked meat etc. Any other breakfast inspiration? [If I try toast or, heaven forbid, cereal I'll be in double figures rapidly and for half the morning lol].

All the best!
If you want to zip up your yoghurt a bit, then I have found Keto Hanna do very low carb granolas which is around 9.2g carb per 100g. It is rather pricy.

W
Hi Everyone

All the best!
How do you get a private test?

Hi Everyone

All the best!
Where do you get a private hab1c test ?

So sorry, I didn't realised you'd replied! I haven't logged in for a while. They aren't necessary really but I just like to see if I am on target myself. There are loads of places who offer one (all found on Google). Not sure if I'm meant to name companies on here.

Thanks for this post, it is so encouraging for me, as someone so new to this. I was worried that my morning reading of 8/9 would push my HbA1C up when I get to that point.

When you say you use a sensor do you mean by finger pricking or do you have something different?

Thanks for this post, it is so encouraging for me, as someone so new to this. I was worried that my morning reading of 8/9 would push my HbA1C up when I get to that point.

When you say you use a sensor do you mean by finger pricking or do you have something different?
I would think they mean a Libre sensor which they as a Type 2 would most likely have to fund themselves. Free 2 week trials are offered by Abbott. Using that for a couple of weeks can help people but they have to know it's limitations and how to interpret the data. For some it is just too much information but other find it really useful. It depends on what your dietary and medication regime is as well.
Otherwise, good use of finger prick tests can be very powerful in giving you information about your dietary choices.

OK thank you, I think I will continue to use finger pricking for now then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back