nausea at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I read somewhere that its pretty common for those of us with diabetes to feel sick before bed. How many of us actually get that? I've had it quite badly the past couple of nights and was wondering if it is actually related to diabetes?

If i get anything at night then its usually stomach cramps.Either approaching bedtime or when i get into bed.

I thought it was just me. I often feel queasy at night. I get stomach cramps too but that's usually after eating.

Do you test for ketones when you feel sick/stomach cramps?
I'm not trying to sound like I know it all, far from it, just those are the symptoms I get when I have ketones. Do you have ketone test strips? It might be useful to ask your doctor for some if you don't

No, I've never tested for ketones. I'll mention it next time I see the doc.

I get it in the morning when i wake up usually :(

I only feel sick or nauseus at bed time if I've eaten anything that doesn't sgree with my sysstem and then I'm up in the night being sick. I sometimes get something that feels like morning sickness before my period, but it passes quite quickly.

whoa kids, calm down 🙂

sophieee, no I don't test for ketones as levels are usually around 7-8. I only tend to test for ketones when I'm above 16mmol/L 🙂

whoa kids, calm down 🙂

sophieee, no I don't test for ketones as levels are usually around 7-8. I only tend to test for ketones when I'm above 16mmol/L 🙂

I know ketones mainly occur when bloods are running high, but I saw your post the other day, about being 21.something in the night, and you could possibly still have ketones in your system from that? Quite a few times, I've had ketones when my bloods have been in the 'not too bad' range

I know ketones mainly occur when bloods are running high, but I saw your post the other day, about being 21.something in the night, and you could possibly still have ketones in your system from that? Quite a few times, I've had ketones when my bloods have been in the 'not too bad' range

Yep, they're known as 'trace ketones' if you wake up with them. For weeks and weeks I was waking up with levels of 17 and had trace ketones - this is because I would hypo in the night and not know it, have a glucose dump and so high levels which left me with trace ketones.

I've never had proper ketones that I've known about.

It's probably not anything to do with ketones though - probably just feeling sick for some odd reason.

do you use the pee sticks or the optium blood strips for ketones?

Yep, they're known as 'trace ketones' if you wake up with them. For weeks and weeks I was waking up with levels of 17 and had trace ketones - this is because I would hypo in the night and not know it, have a glucose dump and so high levels which left me with trace ketones.

I've never had proper ketones that I've known about.

It's probably not anything to do with ketones though - probably just feeling sick for some odd reason.

do you use the pee sticks or the optium blood strips for ketones?

I use the blood test strips, as its easier if I'm out somewhere and need to test. I think my machine might be broke though, as quite a few times i've done a blood test and its shown as hypo (which is strange because I can usually tell when I'm hypo), so i'll re test and it'll be normal?! In between clinics atm though so don't have anyone to contact about it

I use the blood test strips, as its easier if I'm out somewhere and need to test. I think my machine might be broke though, as quite a few times i've done a blood test and its shown as hypo (which is strange because I can usually tell when I'm hypo), so i'll re test and it'll be normal?! In between clinics atm though so don't have anyone to contact about it

Whoops! I forgot i'd logged onto my mums 😛 haha

ketones showing as hypo? Do you mean the normal strips for that one then?

I take it you use the optium xceed monitor then?

If you think its broken phone the company and tell them and they'll send a replacement to you.

Have you tried using control solution with it? That will show you if its out of synch or not.

You can ketones when you are low as well, starvation ketones which I believe is hard to deal with.

You can ketones when you are low as well, starvation ketones which I believe is hard to deal with.

I never knew that 😱 is that the ketosis that everyone goes on about with the Atkins diet? When my parents were doing that they had a form of ketosis or something, pear drop breath etc but normal BGs...

ketones showing as hypo? Do you mean the normal strips for that one then?

I take it you use the optium xceed monitor then?

If you think its broken phone the company and tell them and they'll send a replacement to you.

Have you tried using control solution with it? That will show you if its out of synch or not.

No, didn't mean ketones showing as hypo, when using normal glucose test strips, it sometimes gives a hypo result when I don't feel it, (and I usually do know when I'm hypo), so I then re-test and it'll give a more normal result. I have always tested for ketones whenever feeling sick, or got stomach pains, if only to rule that out of the equation xD

No, didn't mean ketones showing as hypo, when using normal glucose test strips, it sometimes gives a hypo result when I don't feel it, (and I usually do know when I'm hypo), so I then re-test and it'll give a more normal result. I have always tested for ketones whenever feeling sick, or got stomach pains, if only to rule that out of the equation xD

oh i seeeeeee. dumb blonde moment from me there XD. If its playing up then definitely ring up the company that make them - Abbott if its an Optium I think. They'll send you a replacement straight away 🙂

I get nausea bouts virtually every night and sometimes in the mornings too, i did not associate it with ketones, i will have trouble getting ketone strips from my doctor, (surgery next to useless) so i will buy some and test it.

Still angry with surgery about test strips and lancets, (they are investigating) so i will mention it when they have responded to my letter of complaint

it nice to know i am not on my own

angie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back