Natural supplement HTP-5

Kyee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi ive been type 1 for 21 years now, im 27 now im getting fed up with the mood swings/ low moods, tiredness. Ive been researching a supplement called htp-5 does anyone use or know anything about this being diabetic ? Theres never any evidence on natural supplements for some reason but anti depressants are a big no no for me they cause long term damage in my opinion and just as dangerous

I would steer well clear @Kyee

It won’t have been properly researched and certainly not in relation to Type 1 Diabetes.

At best it might be simply ineffective - at worst it might have unintended negative interactions with your diabetes management.

“Diabetes UK does not recommend the use of herbal remedies and supplements as there is not enough evidence that they are safe and effective for people with diabetes to use.“

Diabetes shouldn’t necessarily give rise to mood swings - though diabetes distress is increasingly recognised to be a challenge for many people.

Are you on pens or a pump? How is your glucose juggling going?

I used to use 5-HTP to help with my menopause symptoms, but I am not sure it was particularly effective for that or my mental health.
I am currently using Amitriptyline to help me mentally and I am finding that beneficial. It does make me a bit groggy on a morning for the first week or so, when I first start taking it (I don't take it all the time but just when I feel I need help). My friends and family can see an improvement in me from the Amitriptyline and and I can feel an improvement. I don't like taking tablets all the time, so I tend to take it for a month or two when I need to or when there is a stressful event coming up that I know I will struggle with. It really helps me think more clearly and focus rather than becoming overwhelmed and unable to think straight and I find I enjoy things like a night out at the theatre whereas before I was going to events and just wanting to be back home.

I had had Amitriptyline prescribed many many years ago for a bad back as it is also a muscle relaxant, and I had used left over tablets very occasionally when I was in a really bad state with anxiety attacks and found they helped, but just having the odd one in sheer desperation, but last year I decided that I needed to see a GP about getting some proper help and she felt that because I already had a positive experience with them as a one off, it would be worth trying them longer term and I am definitely seeing a significant benefit. I had previously tried the usual antidepressants like Fluoxetine 20 years ago but it just made everything dull and grey and flat and whilst it enabled me to function, it wasn't living. I don't feel like that with Amitriptyline. It lets me enjoy things and think straight so that I can be productive and I feel a lot more motivated with it and apart from the grogginess when I first start taking it, I don't get any obvious side effects, except perhaps slightly more more frequent nocturnal hypos (I am already quite prone to nocturnal hypos, particularly after exercise, despite adjusting my basal doses regularly). They are usually pretty mild and easy to treat and they don't stress me at all so a few more is no big deal for me although obviously doing what I can to prevent them. Oh and some really weird dreams. Not stressful or frightening but just really vivid and WEIRD!!

Anyway, I just thought I would let you know what I have found works for me and my long term mental health problem. Mine is however not diabetes related.

Back