Nathan's on the porcine .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasha1

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi All ...

Well today Nathan has started the much awaited and anticipated change of insulin to Hypurine Porcine ... a combination of Isophane and Neutral ..
So far he has had 1 injection of neutral and 1 (split dose .. he will have the other in the morning) of Isophane ..

So far it is hard to judge how things are going to pan out .. but early indications are positive ....

I realise to most of you lovely peeps animal insulin is in terms thought of as a old insulin .. as compared to the newer ones available today .. But I do know of one or 2 on here that still use the animal insulin..

With this in mind I thought it may be of interest to some .. If I started a thread documenting Nathans transision from Human Insulin to Animal Insulin ..

Heidi
xx🙂

hiya hun hope it all goes well , what a great idea hun id be an avid fan of reading how things go xxx

Ooo Heidi this sounds great. My sister states quite demonstrably(especially if she is hypo!) that since she transferred from animal to human insulin that she does not have awareness of hypos, but she did when she was on the animal insulin. I don't think that she is aware that animal insulin is still available. I shall pass it on and keep a look out for your updates on how Nathan is progressing.

Hi All ...

So Nathan and me are 24hrs to the new insulin ... 🙂

Although he is running quite high ... Which is only to be expected ... Considering when Nathan woke this morning he had only had 20 units of Isophane as compared to 60 units of Lantus at bedtime ... He woke at 18 .. had second dose of 20 units of Isophane and 12 units of neutral .. was 14 at 11 am and 10 by noon ... lunch was quite a large sandwhich, some crisps and a yoghurt .. had 20 units of Neutral and reading 15 at pm ... Obviously Nathan is on a minimum dose as we are not sure how adjustments will affect him .. I will not be making any changes to Isophane for at least 3 days.

I must admit that I thought Nathan would be much higher than he is ... That said it is a new regime ... so we both feel positive ... He has no traces of Ketones .. so that is brilliant ...

I'm sure everything will just fall into place in the next few days, weeks.

Yes ... Animal Insulin is still available ... Its is manufactured by Wockhardt UK ..

Heidi
xx:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back