Naked bars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Someone mentioned Naked Bars but I can't find the thread. I love Naked Bars and when diagnosed I sat down and made a list of carby foods etc. A 35gm bar is 16 carbs. So in a spirit of defiance I decided to discipline myself to half a bar a day. I was able to do that and four years later I have recrntly graduated to an entire bar. I am now (in agreement with nurse) trying to lower cholestrol b4 hitting statins at next year's review. I have attacked this in the same forensic manner Tried to aim for 12 grm per day. Not easy it has crept up to 13-15 grms. Need fats but not saturated...

Naked bars are quite high carb for what they are and many of the other Protein bars are 10g or less per bar so a better option. Nature Valley, KIND, shop own or quite a few others which I have noticed recently.
My other half kindly bought some from lowpricefoods.com and we have ended up with 72 assorted bars for £30 so a fraction of the cost of in the shops.

Naked bars are quite high carb for what they are and many of the other Protein bars are 10g or less per bar so a better option. Nature Valley, KIND, shop own or quite a few others which I have noticed recently.
My other half kindly bought some from lowpricefoods.com and we have ended up with 72 assorted bars for £30 so a fraction of the cost of in the shops.
Kind, Nature Valley bars look great but I am always fearful for my teeth. Sigh

Ha ha...

Someone mentioned Naked Bars but I can't find the thread. I love Naked Bars and when diagnosed I sat down and made a list of carby foods etc. A 35gm bar is 16 carbs. So in a spirit of defiance I decided to discipline myself to half a bar a day. I was able to do that and four years later I have recrntly graduated to an entire bar. I am now (in agreement with nurse) trying to lower cholestrol b4 hitting statins at next year's review. I have attacked this in the same forensic manner Tried to aim for 12 grm per day. Not easy it has crept up to 13-15 grms. Need fats but not saturated...
Your nurse seems unaware that we make cholesterol in our livers, we do not absorb it from food - and we need saturated fats for essential substances, hormones are only one of them.
When I took statins for only a few weeks I was badly affected, both physically and mentally.
There is a photo on the dresser of my mother and her sister, and it has 'Mother is the one on the right' written on it. Luckily, I am a lot better now.

and we need saturated fats for essential substances, hormones are only one of them.

I think the last time you posted that, someone else commented that it was only Omega 3 and Omega 6 that were essential, not the saturated fats themselves?

And of course anything that has fat in it will have a mix of saturated, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated in different proportions.

My understanding is that most foods contain fats which are essential. But the saturated fats are the ones that could possibly cause the most problem. So to reduce them might be an idea.

My understanding is that most foods contain fats which are essential. But the saturated fats are the ones that could possibly cause the most problem. So to reduce them might be an idea.
Like so much advice it depends on the individual.
As someone who has been using fats for fuel instead of carbohydrates for a number of years now - saturated fats pose no risk to me because I break them down for energy and they do not contribute to my cholesterol levels.

In fact since embarking on a very high fat very low carb regime four years ago my cholesterol levels are healthy whereas they were dangerously unhealthy prior to my change of diet and I had early stage non alcoholic fatty liver disease.

Prior to my high fat very low carb diet I had avoided saturated fat and ate polyunsaturated and kept to a low fat and unprocessed food and high fibre diet with no sugar and lots of vegetables and always cooked from basic ingredients.

So for some people - mainly those who are fine with keeping their carbs very low to ensure the fats get metabolised - saturated fats (I stick to unprocessed still - coconut oil, olive oil, butter and lard and cocoa butter) are beneficial.

If I reduced my fat intake I would quickly become headachy and tired and lose concentration and not have the energy to exercise etc The body needs fuel and if one doesn't provide it as carbs then one needs to provide it as fat and unsaturated fats are these days recognised to be far more problematic than saturated fats.

I had links to the science behind it somewhere but haven't the time to dig them out right now - maybe I will find them later if people are interested.

A small amount of unprocessed saturated fats in a carb-fuelled lifestyle is safer and healthier than polyunsaturated processed fats.

I think the last time you posted that, someone else commented that it was only Omega 3 and Omega 6 that were essential, not the saturated fats themselves?

And of course anything that has fat in it will have a mix of saturated, polyunsaturated and monounsaturated in different proportions.
Well yes - I don't think there is anything in nature which is pure saturated fat - but there is so little research into lipids, because of what everyone knows because it is repeated and repeated and repeated - so it must be true.

We need saturated fats to breakdown to make hormones and other essential substances and to make into components of our nervous system. The excess gets excreted in bile as far as I know.
I think that the concept of digestion and assimilation is often not well understood - our bodies take the raw materials required from the simple products of digestion.

This is helpful in describing the only essential fatty acids amd sources of them (including seeds, vegetable oils, oily fish and leafy vegetables)

“LA (omega 6) and ALA (omega 3) can only be derived from dietary sources as the enzymes needed to synthesize these two EFAs are lacking in the human body in contrast to plant cells”

”The body converts LA into other fatty acids depending upon need.”

”LA is abundant in the diets of most people. Its intake has been doubled during the past 100 years due to increased use of corn and safflower oils. Diets too high in LA and too low in ω-3 fatty acids may lead to chronic inflammation, hypertension and blood clotting tendency that increases the risk of heart attack and stroke“

No mention of saturated fat being essential. But it’s important to keep Omega 3 and Omega 6 in balance. Omega 3 being the one it seems like we need to keep an eye on. Flax seeds and oily fish are good sources from what I can make out.

Saturated fat is not required to make hormones.

Cholesterol is, but this is made in the intestine and liver from proteins, carbs and fatty acids. Most of it is made by the liver. It’s used to make the bile that processes fats as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back