Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kathryn

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I want to have false nails fitted but I have been told that I have to have a doctors letter I am an insulin dependant HELP

I want to have false nails fitted but I have been told that I have to have a doctors letter I am an insulin dependant HELP

Did they tell you why it's an issue? Are you getting really long claws fitted that might affect your ability to use your pen/syringe?

Do you mean finger nails or toe nails? Might be concern about risks if you have neuropathy, which is more common in feet than hands.

I have had false nails fitted on my finger nails several times before and never come across this problem. Seems very odd to me.

The reason that they want a doctors letter is down to what is known as contra-indications.
Basically certain treatments ie. massage, hot stone massage, aromatherapy and nail extensions to name just a few can have implications for people that suffer from certain illnesses or allergies.

In the case of nail extensions with diabetics the reason that they may ask for a doctor's letter is because if a nail extension was accidently ripped off and caused a cut to the finger diabetics are more likely to have problems with infection than non-diabetic.

It's really just a case of the nailbar or whoever covering themselfs from a legal point of view in case anything happened to a customer.

Spoke to diabetes UK today and they said that they had not heard but gave me a number of the insurance company that most therapist use and that is who the therapist called yesterday however I am going to put this in the challenge newspaper. I do not think that I will be having my nails done after all but when I had them done before I did not have a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back