nail infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentAssassin1642

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
so, discoloured nails is usually a sign of a mild fungal infection right?

would it be doctors worthy or is there anything I can get from boots or elsewhere? Ooor would I go see the ole podiatrist?

I got packed off to the podiatrist for mine although it took about 2 months for appointment. Doc sent off clippings which came back as negative. Pod said most of them do lol. He thought it could well be fungal nail and to get curanail from the chemist which I believe is around 20 pounds. I keep meaning to ask doc to prescribe it for me. He said it would take months to work.

Have you tried tea tree oil some people find it works for them.

I read somewhere that one of the reasons that toe nail infections take a long time to recover is the fungus living in your shoes can re-infect them. Not sure how to treat the shoes, but maybe at home wear sandles or something else where your feet can breath and won't be constantly next to a reinfection source.

Curanail is around ?20. I think you may be able to get a powder to put in your shoes. I was told Listerene was good for treating toe nail fungus, but I don't know how true it is. It can take up to 6 months for curanail to work.

I had a toenail infection too ages to clear. The nail eventually fell off and grew back. It looks OK now. I always wear socks in my shoes, which I change every day for clean ones and like to let the air get to my feet as much as possible

so, discoloured nails is usually a sign of a mild fungal infection right?

would it be doctors worthy or is there anything I can get from boots or elsewhere? Ooor would I go see the ole podiatrist?
Without any doubt whatsoever, I'd say it ought to be a visit to your GP.

It is my experience that chemists will not sell you anything like that for foot problems if they know you are diabetic. They will demand seeing a prescription.

Best wishes - John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back