Mysteries of the GlycoMark Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Whose endo regularly suggests you get a GlycoMark test? Wait, better question: who has the slightest idea what constitutes ?in range? for the GlycoMark test, or what the heck you?re supposed to do with the results?

Yeah, I thought so? me neither.

We?ve mentioned GlycoMark a few times here at the ?Mine, but when it recently came up in conversation, our team basically all looked at each other and shrugged. This year?s ADA Conference seemed like a great chance to get a better understanding. The company (yes, the GlycoMark test is provided by a single North-Carolina-based outfit of the same name) didn?t have a booth, but I did have the opportunity to meet up with Scott Foster, president of GlycoMark, and a few others to pick their brains about the history and meaning of this ?other? glucose-levels blood test.

Where Did It Come From?

The hemoglobin A1C was introduced as a means for monitoring the ?control of glucose metabolism? in the late ?70s, and quickly became the gold standard, because it gives us a three-month average of where our BG levels stand. But that?s pretty much it for definitive glucose tests, right? And we all know that an average can be deceiving, masking the highs and lows that may be occurring between tests.

http://www.diabetesmine.com/2012/07/mysteries-of-the-glycomark-revealed.html#more-52493

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back