My worst time in range since getting the LIbre 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peely66

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Today has been a milestone in the use of the LIbre as my TIR has dropped this evening to 3%!!!

Been running high all day and eaten much smaller meals but stuck to the same amount of insulin trying to get back into range but nothing seems to have shifted it.

Checked my pens and vials as once before when this happened inexplicably I found a cracked vial in a pen and consequently I wasn't delivering the right amount of insulin. Everything OK in that respect though.

I did wonder if I've got an infection in my mouth as I burnt my mouth on a pizza on Friday night and now have pain when I eat that seems to radiate across my whole face.

Anyone else have days when their TIR drops this low? I was doing so well.

If your levels are high, it is likely you were experiencing insulin resistance so normal doses would not bring you down.
I tend to need twice as much correction if my levels are over 15 and 50% extra when o er 12.
Plus, if you become insulin resistant, that can also affect basal which means your levels can creep up further even without eating.

Last edited:
Ah sorry to hear your BGs are giving you a hard time @Peely66 :(

Be kind to yourself, and keep plugging away. Those low TIR days aren’t due to a lack of effort or lack of your BG-juggling skills on your part - it’s just your pesky diabetes that’s at fault.

Maybe it would be worth considering Sick Day Rules while you have that possible infection?

Kinda think body can be dealing with infections quietly but not present any symptoms as experienced same thing many many times before, this after doing all usual checks.

Had it happen 2 weeks back & ran high for 3 days, no idea what it was but it soon settled down so something was upsetting system, don't bother about TIR stats when this happens as nowt you can do about it.

Try new vials of insulin anyway. I've had two Lantus pens go bad part way through in the last month. They started off ok, then BG started running inexplicably higher after a few days before suddenly being on a constant upward trend as the insulin lost all activity.

As a couple of others have mentioned, you could have an asymptomatic infection. A month or so ago I'd had 2 or 3 days of hard to control BG levels. One morning, out of desperation I took a lateral flow test for no other reason than I wanted to rule it out. And '8ugger me', I had covid. Not a single symptom (other than BGs) and no risky contacts. So a week hiding and all was back to normal. BGs went down within a day or two of the positive test too.

Just remember, if managing BG levels was easy, every one would have diabetes😉:rofl:.

Try new vials of insulin anyway. I've had two Lantus pens go bad part way through in the last month. They started off ok, then BG started running inexplicably higher after a few days before suddenly being on a constant upward trend as the insulin lost all activity.
Good point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back