My, what a difference :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrvineHimself

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well, I got the first of my cataracts done yesterday afternoon. I still have the cataract on my left eye, which, according to the consultant, is suitably impressive; however. to all intents and purposes, I was completely blind in my right eye. By the time the anaesthetic had worn off I was fairly sure my visual acuity at distance had increased significantly. At the time though, I couldn't check because I was in the patient transport ambulance. Anyway, later last night, even though I was still wearing the eye shield, I was sitting by my kitchen window doing important old people things when I suddenly realised that I could see more clearly through the shield with the new lens than I could before the op. :D

It is still early in the morning and I am only just now preparing to leave for my morning walk to check a few markers, but I am already convinced last nights improvements were not wishful thinking.

By the way, for anyone heading off for this op and feeling nervous about it: "It was a breeze!"

I do not say this lightly: Ever since I was a 'daft young apprentice', I have had a deep seated fear of people guddling about in my eyes [you can guess why!] Anyway, I actually fell asleep. 🙂

Well, I got the first of my cataracts done yesterday afternoon. I still have the cataract on my left eye, which, according to the consultant, is suitably impressive; however. to all intents and purposes, I was completely blind in my right eye. By the time the anaesthetic had worn off I was fairly sure my visual acuity at distance had increased significantly. At the time though, I couldn't check because I was in the patient transport ambulance. Anyway, later last night, even though I was still wearing the eye shield, I was sitting by my kitchen window doing important old people things when I suddenly realised that I could see more clearly through the shield with the new lens than I could before the op. :D

It is still early in the morning and I am only just now preparing to leave for my morning walk to check a few markers, but I am already convinced last nights improvements were not wishful thinking.

By the way, for anyone heading off for this op and feeling nervous about it: "It was a breeze!"

I do not say this lightly: Ever since I was a 'daft young apprentice', I have had a deep seated fear of people guddling about in my eyes [you can guess why!] Anyway, I actually fell asleep. 🙂
Glad it all went ok, i need mine doing but need to wait until my HbA1c levels are a lot lower. I am worried about having it done but hearing stories like yours makes it not so scary x

I found the most startling improvement was when looking at distant trees. They have leaves apparently. Not like an infant painting of a green blob at the top of a brown stick as they had been for so many decades.

Enjoy all you new discoveries.

So glad you are enjoying the impact already @IrvineHimself
I was amazed at the clarity of everything and the distinct colours.

I had my retinopathy check after having both of them done, and they showed me the images beside those from the previous year. Now wonder life had been a ‘bit of a blur’ before. I wish I had taken a photo of the screen.

Enjoy your walks

Thanks for all the positive comments. I am taking it easy, so no shopping, but I did enjoy my daily treat of a cup of Costa coffee 🙂, What most impressed me however was when I stopped by my old pitch: I specifically chose it because it affords a clear, two or three hundred metre view in each direction. This means I have maybe 30 seconds to observe people as they slowly walk into range. Basically, if I can get the timing of an appropriate witty comment just right, I can catch maybe a dozen people.... Then, if just one hand twitches towards a pocket or I notice even the tinniest flicker of amusement, I have got my audience😉

Anyway, the point is that I really want to be able to make out the fine detail of a potential crowd from a couple of hundred yards away. Sadly, in recent years this has no longer been possible. But today, wow!

I can't wait to get the other eye done.

I should add that, in order to protect my eye, I kept the brim of my hat very low and wore my prescription sun-glasses. The latter of course are now totally the wrong prescription, but even so, the clarity of everything was amazing.

Excellent. 🙂

Hee hee, mate!! Fantastic, isn't it !! cos I also know. Asked by the opthalmologist who did my first one ' How do you feel about what we've just done Mrs C?' immediately after the op, I told the truth. I replied "It was absolutely truly awful not being able to see anything, being awake and compus mentis but not in control of anything, not allowed to move, speak or anything - completely horrid. But - if you ask me instead whether all that will stop me having the other one done when the opportunity arises, again, NO - it won't and I'll be here again like a shot!' and burst out laughing at his face, which was as they say, a picture.

Are you managing to get the post-op eye drops in OK ?

Are you managing to get the post-op eye drops in OK ?
Well, I am dribbling a lot down my cheek at the moment, but getting better at aiming the bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back