My wedding day and hypo's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmal31

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've been a little stressed out to say the least because my wedding day is fast approaching (a week today! 🙂 ) and for the last couple of week's I've had at least one hypo a day if not two I've dropped my lantus and it's just meant that my blood sugars are high (above 12) and still have had a hypo those days. So i've sort of given up for now because I think it's down to stress and hopefully it'll be back to normal after the honeymoon :D (fingers crossed).

I've said since I was diagnosed a year and a bit ago if I could have one wish it would be one day without my diabetes and I would choose my wedding day. Obviously this isn't going to happen but I'm thinking I'm going to make sure it's a little high because I'll be stressed and lets face it I don't want to be gulping down coke because I'm having a hypo during my vows. So what do you think is a good number to try and have my blood sugars at bearing in mind I will be drinking a little bit.

Thanks

firstly congrat on the happy day 🙂 hope it goes really well for you both.

now the numbers side of it. i wouldnt like to say what to aim for as it would be different for everyone. for me high is anything over 11, but with drink i would be keeping a close eye on it as it can make it a false reading.

hope this helps a little for you 🙂

mike

Good luck with the wedding, I hope the day is brilliant and you will be very happy together.

Not sure what to advise with the numbers, but it might pay to hide something like a few jelly babies or some glucose tablets in someone like your dads or an ushers jacket pocket. then they will be handy if you need them and wont spoil the out line of your dress.

Good luck with the day hun all the best x

Hi Emma! I would imagine that there are going to be several stresses at play during the day - the normal stress that everything goes to plan, the excitement of the day, and the stress of being the centre of attention throughout the day with all the guests wanting a little time to congratulate you. Quite an extraordinary day in fact! :D

I'd be careful with the fast-acting insulin if you're planning on getting a little 'merry' on the booze, as this can make your levels plummet (or so I've found!). It will be tiring, so you'll be using a lot of energy, so I'd be thinking of how high levels of activity would normally require a reduction in dose of my novorapid. Whilst the stress may push your levels higher, if your liver is coping with alcohol then it won't be reacting as much to the stress hormones by putting out as much glucose, so levels may not rise as much as you might expect on a booze-free occasion.

Food consumption can also be awkward on such an occasion too - even if you're planning a full meal, then this can end up being spread out longer than usual, so you might even think about splitting your dose of fast-acting - this might also help avoid hypos if you had injected then not been able to eat soon enough after. Be careful about 'overlap' though, remember that you may have the tail off of one lot when injecting the next.

Hope I have given you a few things to think about, and maybe if some members who have been married recently can give you their accounts then that will help more!

Hope the week goes well, and that you have a truly wonderful and memorable day - for all the right reasons!:D

Congratualtions on your forthcoming marriage, Emma.

In 13 years of diabetes and insulin, I have found weddings the most difficult situations to deal with - apart from not enjoying dressing up, formality, social conventions etc, they are far more difficult than adventure racing, travelling in remote areas, hiking at altitude etc. Unpredictable and usually extended meal times and unknown food types (although bride may know more about food that will be provided), posh clothes which make injections into abdomen or thighs damn near impossible (at least as a guest I can choose to wear trouser suit or skirt and top instead of dress - but injection sites always seem to bleed when you least want them to), photographs, dancing etc. I usually take less long acting insulin on the morning of the wedding and have short acting insulin after some food has arrived and been eaten, then have more after finishing eating.

Unfortunately, I have to attend one this Saturday - and partner is running a 3day ultra foot race, so I can deliver him and camp Friday night, then head to wedding, stay overnight in hotel, then return to help with race on Sunday and Monday.

You have a great day. The luck of the Irish will be with you.

Ceara

Congratulations!

Like you, I wanted my wedding day (yes, I know I'm a bloke and it's different for us) diabetes free. However, that not being possible I just treated it as an ordinary day in terms of the diabetes - I tested as usual, injected as usual and didn't fiddle around with my doses.

I gave my Best Man duplicate kit - a spare meter, etc. - just for paranoia's sake; but it was such a great day I hardly noticed any problems. I did have to knock back some lucozade before doing the Orcadian Strip the Willow at the ceilidh afterwards (possibly the most tiring and exhausting dance ever!)

Enjoy yourself!

Thank you all so much for your kind words lets hope the weather is good saturday (fingers crossed!)

hi Emma,

Have a super day all the luck in the world x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back