My total cholesterol has increased...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cazscot

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Got a "non-fasting" total cholesterol test done (so dont have the breakdown between LDL and HDL) and it has gone UP 😱 :confused: from 5.2 to 5.7 wtf??? So have been told to make an appointment with doc (havent seen a doc since being diagnosed in September). I know 5.7 is still reasonable but as it has increased I am a wee bit worried now and have made up my mind and I am going to try the statins, I know they get a lot of bad press, but the increase has got me worried...

Hi cazscot, don't worry too much. As you say, it's still not 'bad', and I've no doubt that cholesterol levels fluctuate in the same way that other things do, it's not necessarily the case that it is going to continue increasing, it may be at a 'peak', so discuss this with your doctor to determine whether it's worth waiting another couple of months maybe. Statins will certainly reduce your cholesterol, but they are powerful drugs with potential side-effects, so best to avoid any drug if you don't really need them. I stopped taking them when my cholesterol dropped to 2.4, which I considered too low - the body does actually need it!

The Cholesterol Myth

Got a "non-fasting" total cholesterol test done (so dont have the breakdown between LDL and HDL) and it has gone UP 😱 :confused: from 5.2 to 5.7 wtf??? So have been told to make an appointment with doc (havent seen a doc since being diagnosed in September). I know 5.7 is still reasonable but as it has increased I am a wee bit worried now and have made up my mind and I am going to try the statins, I know they get a lot of bad press, but the increase has got me worried...

Dear cazcot,

Before you decide to take statin have a look at the U-Tube video below. The Data that Dr. Kendrick MD uses in his presentation is from the World Health Organisation and as such is beyond doubt. He makes the point that how can anyone viewing the video believe that high cholesterol causes heart disease! I hope that you will at least look at this clip, I have presented it before and to my knowledge no-one could even raise a comment.

The Cholesterol Myth

Warmest Regards Dodger

Thanks guys. Very interesting clip Dodger. Had a very interesting conversation with doc that I am going to start in a new thread...

Thanks for the link Dodger - certainly makes me feel a little better about stopping my statins. I've been meaning for ages to 'follow' Jenny's blog, and have finally got round to it!🙂

Thanks for the link dodger. Very thought provoking. I am glad I havent started the statins now...

Hi Cazscot, I would go for a re-test in about six weeks. Assuming the test has be carried out recently Christmas could have an effect. Besides the visible fats (sausage meat, etc.) there is a potential for a lot of hidden fats. I have found that an oat based breakfast (porridge/cereal) has a beneficial effect.

Hi Cazscot, I would go for a re-test in about six weeks. Assuming the test has be carried out recently Christmas could have an effect. Besides the visible fats (sausage meat, etc.) there is a potential for a lot of hidden fats. I have found that an oat based breakfast (porridge/cereal) has a beneficial effect.

Thanks falcon, The test was carried out before christmas so I dont even have that excuse 🙄.

Thanks for the link dodger. Very thought provoking. I am glad I havent started the statins now...

Dear cazcot,

I just came across this and it's been around since 2003! It doesn't tell me anything new but I think the ladies amongst us may find the following quote interesting. BTW it's fully referenced so if you don't believe what Michael Babcock, the author, is saying you can check it out.

"However benefit to survival with statins or other cholesterol-lowering agents has never been demonstrated in women (even those at high cardiac risk), in the older elderly, or in men at lower cardiac risk . . .5 [emphasis added by author]"

Here's the link: Statins: Did Your Doctor Tell You....?

Warmest Regards Dodger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back