My tongue gets bored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordburnside

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
People think I am crazy but I am convinced my tongue gets bored!
I don't get hungry any more because I eat enough and there isn't enough sugar to switch on any cravings!
However about 3 hours after my evening meal my tongue feels neglected! It thinks "I need some stimulation" "how about a biscuit?"
Especially if I have something spicy for dinner. It enjoyed the curry (say) but after 3 hours it thinks I need some fun! Once it has tasted something its happy!
Maybe this diet is making me hallucinate!

Does "your tongue" crave particular stimulation? ie. is it craving sweet stuff like a biscuit? Have you tried giving it other stimulation like a few olives and some cheese or a couple of pickled onions or some pickled gherkins or beetroot? If it is only for sweet stuff then my gut feeling is that it is a craving and it may be to do with your BG levels rising and then falling. What did you have with the curry? ie rice or a naan that would increase your BG and then cause it to drop or is it habit that your body is wanting something sweet to finish a mealand you need to create a new habit. Would a small glass of red wine do the trick for your tongue? Try to think more outside the box than just sweet stuff, when it comes to a snack.

Does "your tongue" crave particular stimulation? ie. is it craving sweet stuff like a biscuit? Have you tried giving it other stimulation like a few olives and some cheese or a couple of pickled onions or some pickled gherkins or beetroot? If it is only for sweet stuff then my gut feeling is that it is a craving and it may be to do with your BG levels rising and then falling. What did you have with the curry? ie rice or a naan that would increase your BG and then cause it to drop or is it habit that your body is wanting something sweet to finish a mealand you need to create a new habit. Would a small glass of red wine do the trick for your tongue? Try to think more outside the box than just sweet stuff, when it comes to a snack.
Maybe I should have piece of cheese! Pickled onion is a bit too lively and I can only eat beetroot out of a jar which is sweetened. May be one of my senses feels neglected!

Have you tested pickled beetroot ie the stuff out of a jar which yes it has sugar used in the pickling process but beetroot is naturally sweet anyway, so not much added sugar. I find the vinegar offsets the sugar with my BG response and surprisingly I can eat pickled beetroot without any impact on my levels, and one or two slices of pickled beetroot is a lot better than a biscuit and will definitely give your taste buds something to think about, but cheese works well too.

Sugarfree jelly with added berries and cream, Kvarg deserts, high protein flavoured yoghurt. A nice cup of coffee with cream.
You could try making some of the low carb cakes or biscuits from recipes on sugarfreelondoner website. @Martin62 posts weekly his scrumptious offerings

Feeling peckish like that often means you’re actually thirsty. Try drinking a glass of water and see if the feeling goes away

An astringent fruit like pineapple will give your tongue a workout!
But beware the sugars...

I have had that feeling only once, after dinner on Valentine's day last month. I don't want it again. I'd say take avoiding action such as drinking that glass of water or doing some exercises. I took a tip from Ian Marber's Man Food, brushing my teeth with minty toothpaste. Instantly effective.
I'd suggest you track down the trigger, and take it off the menu.

I have had that feeling only once, after dinner on Valentine's day last month. I don't want it again. I'd say take avoiding action such as drinking that glass of water or doing some exercises. I took a tip from Ian Marber's Man Food, brushing my teeth with minty toothpaste. Instantly effective.
I'd suggest you track down the trigger, and take it off the menu.
I will try that. Its better that a chocolate digestive!

I think my trigger was syrup and cream in the dessert. It seems some combinations of carbs and fats can set off reward reactions. The packaged food manufacturers take advantage of that by design or chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back