My story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick B

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I want to share my experience of Type 2 diabetes.

To my dismay my last two A1c readings (May 21 and June 21) prior to my most recent result (July 21) were 47mmol/mol and 48mmol/mol. My July reading was 42mmol/mol putting me from just in the T2 range in June, to borderline normal in July a month later. I am a 60 yr old male with metabolic syndrome and, until recently, was a ticking time bomb for T2, and likely other issues. I am delighted to have made such an improvement in my A1c in one month and I want to share how I did it to help others. It wasn't difficult!

It was nothing complicated, I simply changed to a low carb diet and applied Time Restricted Eating (intermittent fasting) on an 18-6 basis Monday through to Friday. That's it!

Type 2 doesn't have to be chronic and progressive in my humble opinion. My doctor was a little skeptical when I outlined my plan but is fully behind me having witnessed the results.

I do sometimes extend the "fast" to 20 or 24 hours, once or twice a week. But it is such an easy method to follow.

For additional motivation I read "The Diabetes Code" by Dr Jason Fung. The rationale for the low carb/ intermittent fasting regime is explained in his book.

It is not my intention to promote others work, but this book was crucial to helping me tackle my problem.

I wish all readers of this forum good luck with their journey.

It can be done!

Rick

To my dismay my last two A1c readings (May 21 and June 21) prior to my most recent result (July 21) were 47mmol/mol and 48mmol/mol. My July reading was 42mmol/mol putting me from just in the T2 range in June, to borderline normal in July a month later. I am a 60 yr old male with metabolic syndrome and, until recently, was a ticking time bomb for T2, and likely other issues. I am delighted to have made such an improvement in my A1c in one month and I want to share how I did it to help others. It wasn't difficult!

It was nothing complicated, I simply changed to a low carb diet and applied Time Restricted Eating (intermittent fasting) on an 18-6 basis Monday through to Friday. That's it!

Type 2 doesn't have to be chronic and progressive in my humble opinion. My doctor was a little skeptical when I outlined my plan but is fully behind me having witnessed the results.

I do sometimes extend the "fast" to 20 or 24 hours, once or twice a week. But it is such an easy method to follow.

For additional motivation I read "The Diabetes Code" by Dr Jason Fung. The rationale for the low carb/ intermittent fasting regime is explained in his book.

It is not my intention to promote others work, but this book was crucial to helping me tackle my problem.

It can be done!

Rick
Welcome to the forum, good to hear your story and the success you have had. I have that book and the ideas make a lot of sense and explains quite a lot of the quirkiness and diversity of the condition.

Well done. I too had success following a low carb diet when first diagnosed, and I follow a 16-8 fasting plan. A 4 month illness caused a hiccup in my maintenance, but again things are moving is the right direction. Low carb seems to be the way to go for a lot of Type 2. My go-to book was The 8-week Blood Sugar Diet by Michael Mosley.

Welcome to the forum, good to hear your story and the success you have had. I have that book and the ideas make a lot of sense and explains quite a lot of the quirkiness and diversity of the condition.
Thanks Leadinglights. I've been surprised at how much of a difference has been possible in a relatively small amount of time. The road ahead will have bumps, and I'll fall off the wagon from time to time, but I feel I have the tools in the kit bag to manage the condition. Fingers crossed!

Well done. I too had success following a low carb diet when first diagnosed, and I follow a 16-8 fasting plan. A 4 month illness caused a hiccup in my maintenance, but again things are moving is the right direction. Low carb seems to be the way to go for a lot of Type 2. My go-to book was The 8-week Blood Sugar Diet by Michael Mosley.
Thanks Felinia. Yes, the Mosley books are very good. There's a lot of content common to both authors. I'm not naive enough to think it's fixed. Long term success will require commitment! But, at least I have a road map. Good luck and best wishes.

Rick

I also cut out all forms of sweetener, especially in drinks. I drink unsweetened teas and coffee, and sparkling water with a twist of lemon.

Thank you happydog.

Best wishes to you on your journey.

Cheers

Rick

Well done Rick, sterling job!

Thanks Kreator. Early days, but encouraging. ☺

It can be done!

Rick
A quick update on progress since diagnosis earlier this year. My latest A1c result recorded 43mmol/mol (without medication).

I did have to change my regime from Low Carb/High Fat to reduce the fat content of my meals following the development of gallstones, so the latest reading is pleasing.

I am eating more carbohydrates than before, but I'm still avoiding sugar/ sugary foods, sweeteners/ sweetened foods and drinks, and crucially (in my humble opinion) I'm still using intermittent fasting (18/6) Monday through to Friday. Weight loss has slowed down, but total weight loss is now 49lbs.

Finally, I am a little less sedentary having bought an exercise bike (20 mins exercise, 5 days per week).

If you have just received a diagnosis of T2, or been classed as pre-diabetic, dietary and lifestyle changes can make a big difference. Good luck and keep the faith!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back