My son's ordeal reveals the battle May faces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The news that Home Secretary Theresa May has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at the age of 56 will ignite the attention of anyone who has an interest in this condition ? especially as it is so rare for someone of her age.
I have several patients with Type 1 diabetes, but as a father I?ve seen first-hand how it has dominated the life of my eldest son, Ben, for the best part of 30 years.
In my 36 years as a GP, I can?t recall a fiftysomething patient who has developed it out of the blue. Doctors occasionally see the onset of Type 1 in teenagers or young adults in their 20s, but later than that is very unusual.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ype-1-diabetes-dominated-life-eldest-son.html

That's probably because so many are misdiagnosed as Type 2, doctor...

A bit of sensationalist doom and gloom from the Daily Fail, striking fear into the heart of everyone who knows someone with Type 1 diabetes. Cheers :(

It is very unusual for a person to develop type 1 diabetes as a 50 year old - and if each GP has, say 1000 patients on their list (even in a group practice, patients are still allocted to 1 doctor), they may well go 35 years without meeting a 50+ year old who develops type 1 diabetes, even without the issue of misdiagnosis as type 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back