My meals asking a big favour

gail2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
if i post daily for a week my meals could you tell me where i may be going wrong or right. Or any suggestions
Wednesday
Breakfast 2 rounds of whole meal toast with
Marmite{lower salt}
Dinner Lental stew with sweet potato mash
Tea 2 rounds toast wholemeal with Marmite [lower salt]
Thursday
Breakfast 2 rounds wholemeal toast with marmite [lower salt] cup decaltfcoffee with sweeter
Dinner beef stew and a low fat yogurt
Tea home made chicken soup low fat yogurt
During the night Bannana
Friday
Breakfast Two rounds wholemeal toast with Marmite[lower salt], cup decaff coffee with sweeter
Dinner steamed fish with cauli brocalie , fresh friut saled with a dollop of yougurt
Tea Home made chicken soup [so yummy i had 2 lots] Low fat yogurt cup decaff coffee with sweetner
Saturday
Am on a low fibre diet for next 4 days as I have to have a procedure on Wednesday
Breakfast Two rounds white toast with marg Cup decaff coffee with sweeter
Dinner Pasta with steamed chicken, large glass surgar free orange squash

Last edited:
if i post daily for a week my meals could you tell me where i may be going wrong or right. Or any suggestions
Wednesday
Breakfast 2 rounds of whole meal toast with Marmite{lower salt}
Dinner Lental stew with sweet potato mash
Tea 2 rounds toast wholemeal with Marmite [lower salt]
All carbs and very little protein or healthy fat or vegetables.
Do you eat eggs as egg with 1 slice toast for breakfast or Full fat Greek yoghurt with berries with seeds or nuts./
Do you eat meat or fish as those with veg or salad with coleslaw. Lentils are high carb as are sweet potatoes, so you may get away with lentil stew with green veg
Tea again just carbs and no protein. You could have an open sandwich with cheese, cooked meat, tuna salad. Full fat Greek Yoghurt with berries, sugarfree jelly with berries,
I am reminded you are on insulin so apart from not much protein which you could add to what you are having if you blood glucose levels are in range you may not be going 'wrong'*

Last edited:
I think you are on insulin, Gail, is that right? Mixed insulin? If so you would need to be careful about very low carb meals like meat/fish + veg/salad.

I agree seems very low in protein apart from the lentils. Are you veggie? Or even vegan?

Do you like peanut butter? If so you could swap one of the toasts with marmite for toast with PB?

As has often been mentioned, pulses are "weird". Some people digest them fully and consume all the carbs from them. However, there are also people for whom they "pass through" and carbs are not consumed from things like lentils and chick peas.

Testing should be considered before discounting them from your diet just because someone else is a "pulse carb consumer". We are all different!

Let's stop demonising cheap meal options like lentils and put them in the "maybe pile".

Last edited:
my BG is in range of 4to9

When is your BG between 4 and 9? ie. When do you test?

Are you vegetarian @gail2 ? When you ask for input on your meals, what are you aiming for? Better nutrition? Weight loss? Weight gain?

if i post daily for a week my meals could you tell me where i may be going wrong or right.
Is this a good idea given you can’t control your food intake? Peoples suggestions may be bad for your mental health.

It would be helpful if you could remind people of what medication for your diabetes you are on as that will influence whether the meals will be OK and stop people (like me) making inappropriate suggestions

When is your BG between 4 and 9? ie. When do you test?
morning after dinner1.5 hours, after tea, at night B4 i go to bed ITS 4to6 on waking and 5to 9 after meals They/i am very strick about wot i eat Its paying off i have lost 2 stone so far

Last edited:
It would be helpful if you could remind people of what medication for your diabetes you are on as that will influence whether the meals will be OK and stop people (like me) making inappropriate suggestions
will do tomorrow as they keep/dole out my meds and i have forgoten what im on

will do as soon as staff have time to write out list Cheers

Gail, you may get more responses if you add each day as a new post in this thread, rather than doing them as edits to the first post - that way the thread doesn't appear under "New Posts".

Last few days look good!

Thanks for the tip

That menu which sounds fabulous nom nom nom would send me through the roof. I think it takes a while to get it right. It's taken me since 2016. :D

As has often been mentioned, pulses are "weird". Some people digest them fully and consume all the carbs from them. However, there are also people for whom they "pass through" and carbs are not consumed from things like lentils and chick peas.
Could you perhaps expand on this? I don't know what you mean.

Could you perhaps expand on this? I don't know what you mean.
Some people find their BG rises when they eat pulses. Some people find they don’t.
The best way to find out which group you are in is to test before and 2 hours afterwards.
This can affect lentils and chickpeas. The latter being the main ingredient in falafel and hummus.

Pulses put my levels into orbit and my digestive system seems to extract nearly twice as much glucose from them as they are supposed to contain. It costs me a lot of insulin and a lot of BG aggravation to dose for them which is a shame because I really like most of them. I am the same with porridge in that it spikes me really badly, really fast. I also don't seem to get a benefit from cooked and cooled or frozen and reheated starches, that are supposed to become resistant starches. My gut just seems to be very efficient at extracting glucose from carb rich foods.

Back