• Community Members: Please be respectful of other peoples' opinions within our online community

My Life, I Nearly Lost It

spiritfree

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Dawney, you are a very brave person. Keep up the good work.:)

HERE TINTIN

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I had never noticed this thread before but reading spiritfree's previous post made me curious. So I have gone back to page 1 and read Dawns story. I have to say its very close to home for me for my own life and my mums experience of diabetes. It is a very inspiring account and I hope that Dawn you are still being soo brave and doing so well. In the other hand it has made me incredibly sad for I feel my mum could have still been alive if she had read something like Dawns story. I had to sit by her side in intensive care after heart and kidney failure due to diabetes, she was unconscious in a coma the whole time so I didnt really feel like I said goodbye to her. I just realised how much I miss her all over again and how sad the whole thing was, including the way my own management has caused devastating complications and trauma to myself and family. I wish I had found a forum like this years ago, even though a bit sad and down right now :(

runner

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Sorry to hear your story too Here Tintin, but glad you've found the forum now and hope things are better for you now too.

Charliewatch

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Wow what a story thanks for going to the trouble of posting it a real thought provoker really best wishes David Charliewatch

HERE TINTIN

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for taking the time to wish me well, I noticed I made a lot of typo errors this morning, but I was rather emtional last night when I wrote post. TinTin

Pinktoes

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
sending you love and hugs, made me cry too, so many people have a lapse, welll done for coming out the other side, everyone diagnosed should read your story.

Laura davies

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Dawney you have made me cry you have really touched me. I to failed myself miserably over a year ago by not testing regularly and eating to much sugar i was in complete denial. I was tired, emotional all the time, hardly surprising looking back not being in control of this condition. I had gone off the rails and had been through a divorce a year earlier after 17 years together and a lovely son ben 11. I was an emotional wreck and i should have taken care of myself for my wonderful boy. I've met and settled down with my partner Richard and got engaged at Christmas. I test at least 5/6 times a day and write everything down. I still panic a little about foods and energy but i certainly do not have that chocolate bar everyday which I did prior to DKA and now if i fancy something sweet i will have 2 digestives or a small club bar and cover with novorapid. Im still learning and i read a lot on D on here and on line and listening to you guys gives me confidence. You were not alone Dawney and i am proud of you turning yourself around, that takes an awesome strength, go girl. X

Laura davies

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thank you Hobie it sure is hard work at times and every day i think what I eat and am more conscious of healthy eating than ever. I've had a bit of a low day today but on the plus side my hair is looking more glossy and thicker and my nais stronger, i have another auto immune disease under active thyroid and because im eating more spinach, avocado and more fish than ever oh and water things are improving :)

pink

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
so glad for you and your family all I keep thinking is why me im diab t2 pink

Carol F

Relationship to Diabetes
Hi All,

Its been a long time since I visted this site, I hope you are all well? I just wanted to share my thoughts and experience so far with my jourmey of being a type 1 diabetic.

In 2006 I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. At the age of 36 I found it quite dificult to take in as up until then I did what I wanted in my life food and drink wise. At first I accepted the condition and controlled my levels well. I then found myself getting quite angry with it especially when I experienced hypos and found the whole routine of testing and injecting dreadfull. My anger issues were "WHY ME, what had I done?" My social life changed, the people who loved me annoyed me with "have you tested?", "have you done your injection?", "can you eat that?". I wanted to scream at them to stop fussing and leave me alone when all they were doing was caring and loving me.

I got more and more depressed and spoke to nobody, not even my supportive husband who loves me. Work was unpleasant with me and made me feel being a diabetic was dirty and a obese persons condition. I started to drink alcohol on a daily basis and my social life and my good control suffered.

I left my job and got another job that I really enjoyed but unfortunatley, I was made redundant, this made my depression worse.

I found a new job which to this day I am still employed in.

My experience with my old employer really affected me and I felt very angry and decided to ignore my condition to the point of not testing and I stopped taking my insulin. My drinking got worse and I was pushing the people that loved and cared for me away. I lied when they asked me about my testing and injecting.

My health then started to deteriorate, I went from a weight of 11 stone to less than 8 stone and looked very thin almost anorexic. Again my husband and family and close friends worried and I fobbed them of with more lies.

In May 2010 my health took a very serious dip. I started with an ear infection and went to my GP, the day after I came home from work ill. On the 28th May the day, my husband & i will never forget, my husband found me in our bedroom unconscious and fitting. I was taken by ambulance to Wythenshawe hospital to the intensive care unit. I was in a coma with high suger levels and high keytones. I was in a coma for 10 days with less than a 30% chance of living. I was unable to breath for myself and started with serious complications with my kidneys, I also could have been brain damaged due to lack of oxygen. My husband and immediate family were taken to a relatives room and told to brace themselves over that Bank Holiday weekend that I might not pull through. Ten days later the intensive care doctors decided to try and bring me out of the coma to which they did.

I spent another week in intensive care on a dialysis machine for my kidneys and I had to have physio to gain strengh in my arms and legs and learn to walk again.

This came as a massive shock and wake up call to me. I had been so deceiptfull to my loved ones who were at my bedside day and night throughout this trauma. I can never repay them for there unconditional love and support they gave me and still do tho this day.

Once I was stable I was moved to a ward and was there for another 2 weeks. I was on a strict renal diet to help my kidneys and lots of fluids. I was sent for a scan on my kidneys and was told I might lose my right kidney. I was devastated. I had many visits from the diabetic nurses and doctors who showed me care and support they made me realise that I can live with diabetes, the knowledge and care they gave me was immense.

I then realised after missing my 39th Birthday and knowing I could have died and left behind a heart broken husband, step-daughter, family and friends I needed to face and beat my fears head on. I listened to my diabetic team wrote in my note pad all the things on my mind and questions, no matter how silly they seemed, regarding diabetes, and I craved knowledge and got more determined and stronger.

Due to the dedication of the diabetic team at Wythenshawe the support of my husband, friends and family I have got mentally stronger over my diabetes, that its not my fault or its dirty, that I can have a life and be happy. I left hospital after the renal team confirmed my right kidney was no loner at risk as long as I stopped drinking alcohol and controled my diabetes.

I have spend the last 3 months at home getting better and stronger. I no longer drink due to a support group I attend. I go to all my diabetic and doctor appointments. I test my suger levels 4/5 times per day, I TAKE MY INSULIN.

I am a very luck lady, I could have done some very serious damage to my health, I could have died, lost my kindney or gone blind.

I am dealing now with neuropathy in my feet which my doctor has given me medication to treat it. I want to share my story with you all as its imperative you look after yourself and don't be in denial. When ever you feel down, share your feeling and fears don't hide them away TALK to your team, your partner family and friends, do not let diabetes rule you, it doesn't have to be that way, you can live with it and feel normal again.

Its taken me 4 year to realise this and a near death experience. Dont let this be you. I know have my suger levels under control and I write them down in my home monitoring diary daily, any questions I have I ring my team they are there for you to ask and talk to, its there job to support you. Don't think your pestering them. Use the internet for knowledge stay POSITIVE and HAPPY.

I hopy my story helps, don't ignore the condition look what nearly happened to me. I still have a lot to learn as I might not have been here today to write this.

I am no expert. I hope my story inspires anyone with type 1 or 2 who feels down or frightened to come to terms with diabetes. Feel free to drop me a line if anyone feels down and needs a cheery positive chat. Thats what I want to give to people after my trauma.

Best wishes
Dawn :):)

Carol F

Relationship to Diabetes
Goodness... i felt every word you have written..very brave to put your feelings into words.
You remind me of a friend I used to have ... she was angry and she couldn't get past the 'why me' question... glad you are fighting for your future x

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So many with ups and downs of having diabetes. This forum is so much help and allows people to say what they feel when they want to and to help each other by doing so. Well done Dawney for starting this thread.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Not much point in addressing any comments to Dawn really since she hasn't even visited the site since 2011 !!

Annemarie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My dear @Dawney thank you for sharing, you shone a light into the depths of how life can be with diabetes. I found your story inspirational and will certainly keep it in mind as Christmas approaches. Diabetes can create a very lonely situation but you seem to have good support from your family and that’s a blessing, you’re lucky. DUK has been my link to other people and stopped me from feeling like, “the only diabetic in the village.” I do hope you join in one of the forums it would be good to say hello

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Gosh! Over 10 years since @Dawney posted this account. Hope she is doing well, and amazing to think her words are still resonating with people all these years later.

Last edited:

NotPink

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,

Its been a long time since I visted this site, I hope you are all well? I just wanted to share my thoughts and experience so far with my jourmey of being a type 1 diabetic.

In 2006 I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. At the age of 36 I found it quite dificult to take in as up until then I did what I wanted in my life food and drink wise. At first I accepted the condition and controlled my levels well. I then found myself getting quite angry with it especially when I experienced hypos and found the whole routine of testing and injecting dreadfull. My anger issues were "WHY ME, what had I done?" My social life changed, the people who loved me annoyed me with "have you tested?", "have you done your injection?", "can you eat that?". I wanted to scream at them to stop fussing and leave me alone when all they were doing was caring and loving me.

I got more and more depressed and spoke to nobody, not even my supportive husband who loves me. Work was unpleasant with me and made me feel being a diabetic was dirty and a obese persons condition. I started to drink alcohol on a daily basis and my social life and my good control suffered.

I left my job and got another job that I really enjoyed but unfortunatley, I was made redundant, this made my depression worse.

I found a new job which to this day I am still employed in.

My experience with my old employer really affected me and I felt very angry and decided to ignore my condition to the point of not testing and I stopped taking my insulin. My drinking got worse and I was pushing the people that loved and cared for me away. I lied when they asked me about my testing and injecting.

My health then started to deteriorate, I went from a weight of 11 stone to less than 8 stone and looked very thin almost anorexic. Again my husband and family and close friends worried and I fobbed them of with more lies.

In May 2010 my health took a very serious dip. I started with an ear infection and went to my GP, the day after I came home from work ill. On the 28th May the day, my husband & i will never forget, my husband found me in our bedroom unconscious and fitting. I was taken by ambulance to Wythenshawe hospital to the intensive care unit. I was in a coma with high suger levels and high keytones. I was in a coma for 10 days with less than a 30% chance of living. I was unable to breath for myself and started with serious complications with my kidneys, I also could have been brain damaged due to lack of oxygen. My husband and immediate family were taken to a relatives room and told to brace themselves over that Bank Holiday weekend that I might not pull through. Ten days later the intensive care doctors decided to try and bring me out of the coma to which they did.

I spent another week in intensive care on a dialysis machine for my kidneys and I had to have physio to gain strengh in my arms and legs and learn to walk again.

This came as a massive shock and wake up call to me. I had been so deceiptfull to my loved ones who were at my bedside day and night throughout this trauma. I can never repay them for there unconditional love and support they gave me and still do tho this day.

Once I was stable I was moved to a ward and was there for another 2 weeks. I was on a strict renal diet to help my kidneys and lots of fluids. I was sent for a scan on my kidneys and was told I might lose my right kidney. I was devastated. I had many visits from the diabetic nurses and doctors who showed me care and support they made me realise that I can live with diabetes, the knowledge and care they gave me was immense.

I then realised after missing my 39th Birthday and knowing I could have died and left behind a heart broken husband, step-daughter, family and friends I needed to face and beat my fears head on. I listened to my diabetic team wrote in my note pad all the things on my mind and questions, no matter how silly they seemed, regarding diabetes, and I craved knowledge and got more determined and stronger.

Due to the dedication of the diabetic team at Wythenshawe the support of my husband, friends and family I have got mentally stronger over my diabetes, that its not my fault or its dirty, that I can have a life and be happy. I left hospital after the renal team confirmed my right kidney was no loner at risk as long as I stopped drinking alcohol and controled my diabetes.

I have spend the last 3 months at home getting better and stronger. I no longer drink due to a support group I attend. I go to all my diabetic and doctor appointments. I test my suger levels 4/5 times per day, I TAKE MY INSULIN.

I am a very luck lady, I could have done some very serious damage to my health, I could have died, lost my kindney or gone blind.

I am dealing now with neuropathy in my feet which my doctor has given me medication to treat it. I want to share my story with you all as its imperative you look after yourself and don't be in denial. When ever you feel down, share your feeling and fears don't hide them away TALK to your team, your partner family and friends, do not let diabetes rule you, it doesn't have to be that way, you can live with it and feel normal again.

Its taken me 4 year to realise this and a near death experience. Dont let this be you. I know have my suger levels under control and I write them down in my home monitoring diary daily, any questions I have I ring my team they are there for you to ask and talk to, its there job to support you. Don't think your pestering them. Use the internet for knowledge stay POSITIVE and HAPPY.

I hopy my story helps, don't ignore the condition look what nearly happened to me. I still have a lot to learn as I might not have been here today to write this.

I am no expert. I hope my story inspires anyone with type 1 or 2 who feels down or frightened to come to terms with diabetes. Feel free to drop me a line if anyone feels down and needs a cheery positive chat. Thats what I want to give to people after my trauma.

Best wishes
Dawn :):)
Wow. Just found this post which has me in tears. You're so inspirational and it can't have been easy to fight back and stabilise your condition. I often read the posts from Diabetes 1 people to help me understand how they manage their condition...always impressed with the human aspect and the technology employed daily to manage their lives. It cannot be easy but you all do yourselves proud, in my eyes, and I am fully respective of you all. Well done. Take a bow.

Elizabethe

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Aww Dawn, that took a lot of courage, I for one can see traits of myself there especially the Why me?.It is a hard slog at times, thank you for sharing. just read it was over 10 years ago but still resonates